Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration: old mac to my new mac (both laptops), just iTunes/iphoto

I only wish to transfer music from iTunes and my photos from iPhotos from my old mac to my new mac (both laptops)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:09 AM

21 replies

Jul 13, 2012 7:17 PM in response to Gutlin

You can't really do that via Migration Assistant. It will copy part or all of a user account from an old Mac (or its backups) to a new user account on the new Mac.

Assuming you want the copies in an existing account, if both Macs have FireWire, connect them and start the old one up in Target Disk Mode. That will make the old Mac look like an external HD to the new one. See Using Target Disk mode. Then just drag the folders you want.

If they don't both have Firewire, use an external HD. Connect it to the old Mac, copy to it, then connect it to the new Mac and copy from the disk.

Jul 30, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

I have the same question. I did what you said but it did't work. My iPhoto always open empty.

Sorry, I neglected to tell you the second part. 😊

Assuming you found and copied the iPhoto library, hold the Alt/Option key while starting iPhoto. You'll get this window, where you can select the copied version:

User uploaded file

If it doesn't appear in the box, click Other Library... to get a prompt to locate it.

Jul 30, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

Pondini where do I drag the iPhoto Library to? I was dragging to iPhoto icon...

Ah, no. 😟

The iPhoto application (all the windows and "works") is completely separate from the data (your pictures).

If you want to move an iPhoto Library (containing pictures), see Moving your iPhoto '11 Library or Moving your iPhoto '08 or earlier library, depending on what version of iPhoto you have.

But if you're trying to move it from one computer to another, there may be some permissions problems. That's why it's usually best to use either Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to transfer an entire user account (and perhaps 3rd-party apps as well).

Please clarify exactly what you're trying to do, so we can be sure to give you accurate advice.

Jul 30, 2012 10:14 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini I am trying to copy from my old MacBook to an HD and then from the HD to the new MacBookPro. I tried to use the Migation Assistent but It created a new user account with the old OSX, so I gave up. Now I am doing the migration manually using the external HD. Do you think I should drag my old iPhoto Library to the folder Pictures???

thank you

Jul 30, 2012 10:54 AM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

Pondini I am trying to copy from my old MacBook to an HD and then from the HD to the new MacBookPro. I tried to use the Migation Assistent but It created a new user account

Yes, that's what it does. In most cases, that's the best option.

But if you only want one thing transferred to an existing user account, no.

Now I am doing the migration manually using the external HD. Do you think I should drag my old iPhoto Library to the folder Pictures???

You've copied the iPhoto Library from the old Mac to the external, and have now connected the external to the new Mac, right?

If so, yes, drag it to the new Mac's Pictures folder (if an empty iPhoto Library is already there, delete it first).

Then, opening the iPhoto app will probably see the library; if it doesn't, quit iPhoto and re-open it while holding the Alt/Option key to direct it there.

Jul 30, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

Perfec Pondini.It worked.

Great! 🙂

May I ask you what to do with itunes and mail??

Remember when I said, "if you only want one thing"?

iTunes is doable: iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Mail may not be, without using Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant. What version(s) of OSX are the Macs running?

Jul 30, 2012 12:37 PM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

the old one is OSX 10.6.8 and the new one is OSX Lion 10.7.4

That's not likely to work. They have different file/folder structures.

Plus, all the account names, server names, email addresses, passwords, rules, etc., in Mail Preferences.

Even the preferences file is in a different place.

It's tedious, but if you set that all up exactly as on the old Mac, then you might be able to use Mail > Import to copy the mailboxes.

But, please reconsider using either Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant. They're designed to deal with such things automatically. You can still start over, via one of the workarounds in the green box of Problems after using Migration Assistant.

Jul 30, 2012 4:43 PM in response to Reacrobs

Reacrobs wrote:

Pondini, the problem is that my new Mac was that my Mac was set up at Apple Store when I bought it.

From another Admin account, you can delete the user account they created.

I tried the MA but I don't want everytning and it created the new user...

Why not? It usually is the best, easiest way to transfer your stuff. You can omit some broad categories of things, and delete other stuff you don't want. See the pink Migrating User Accounts box in Using Migration Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion.

And it will do all the conversions of things like Mail for you.

What do you have that you don't want to transfer?

Migration: old mac to my new mac (both laptops), just iTunes/iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.