9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 9:37 PM by Lindberg
Lindberg Level 1 (0 points)

My Aperture Library is located in an external hard disk.  When I try to access the movie clips in the library from iMovie '11, under Event Library, it somehow shows the library is located in my local hard disk.  Although it shows up in the wrong place, I can still see the video clips inside.  But the problem is somehow missing quite a lot of clips.  I've tried a few things already:

- made sure all the originals are consolidated in Aperture (3.3.1).

- made share previews always available in Aperture.

- repair the permission in Aperture.

- delete the imovie plist and restart imovie.

- delete the imovie thumdnails and ilifeshared from the Aperture library.

But still cannot solve the problem.  I have tried deleting the imovie thumbnails a few times and let iMovie regenerates those files.  My Aperture library is about 300G.  So, it takes a while to process.  But it seems that each time gives me different results.  Say, this time I see some clips missing.  If I do it again, I will see some of those missing ones, but some other clips will go missing.

Is this a problem when I put the both the Aperture and iMovie libraries on the external drive?  Please help.  Thank you!

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Lindberg Level 1 (0 points)

After moving to Mountain Lion and install the latest update for Aperture and iMovie, the problem is still not solved.  Anyone experience the same problem?  Thanks.

• Trevor LeDain Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem. Movie clips from last 4 months not showing up in iMovie

• triciacastro Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. I read somewhere else that maybe the Aperture library is still processing previews and generating thumbnails. I checked my set, and it is coincidentally currently "Processing" my whole library. I'm hoping that as soon as this is done, it will start appearing on my iLife Media browser and iMovie.

Crossing my fingers.

• triciacastro Level 1 (0 points)

Yup. Worked. I can now see my Aperture library after it processed all the thumbnails. If it's not processing you can opt to "Reprocess Originals" from the menu.

Good luck. I hope this helps someone.

• jdh857 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried the "reprocess orginals", but it went through and replaced the dates on all my videos with the current date.... so I stopped the process before it was complete.  Want to preserve the original dates/times of my videos. 

Am I missing something here, or does the "reprocess originals" function always replace the date and time?

(I'm using Aperture 3.3/Mountain Lion/Managed library/iMovie '11...some of my videos appear in iMovie, but only a few of them.  Video is AVCHD taken on Canon camcorder.)

• cgirldi Level 1 (0 points)

has anyone found the fix for all of these issues... I have the same issues that everyone on this thread mentions...

• PMello Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having this problem too. Videos stopped apearing in IMovie after September. All progs are up to date...

• beacantor Level 1 (0 points)

I just had this happen today. I repaired permissions in Disk Utility and Aperture is back in iMovie.

• Lindberg Level 1 (0 points)

I've tried that.  It doesn't work for me.  I still cannot see the full Aperture library in my external HD.