Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Bypass firmware password protection. Don't remember it

Hello, so i've recently installed windows 7 for bootcamp. But when i press option, it takes me to a lock symbol with a password protection. I dont remember my firmware password, and i've looked everywhere for a solution. Resetting ram doesnt work, downloading the open firmware password utility doesnt work, and pressing cmd + r doesnt work either. Im running Lion v 10.7.4. Help! I certainly do not want to reboot everytime to switch partitions!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 12:16 PM

I think it used to be resetting the firmware password was moderately difficult by resetting RAM. Now I think you have to take it to an Apple Service Provider where they generate a one-time disc to reset it. This level of security is the whole point behind the firmware protection.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Yurij97

I think it used to be resetting the firmware password was moderately difficult by resetting RAM. Now I think you have to take it to an Apple Service Provider where they generate a one-time disc to reset it. This level of security is the whole point behind the firmware protection.

Can't Bypass firmware password protection. Don't remember it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.