Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp giving error on new MacBookPro "The version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model."

Posting this for the unfortuante ones who may come after me. I scoured the forums for days to finally achieve a successful result so I figured I would post the results here for any who are brave enough to pursue it. Proceed at your own risk...of course Apple doesn't give you much choice.

The summary is that on a brand new Macbook Pro (MacbookPro9,1) attempts to run Bootcamp for Win 7-64 repeatedly failed. After some searching I came across information on the location of the main catalog Apple uses. Google searches on "bootcamp driver downloads" should provide info on where to find this. Then after sorting through the various bootcamp versions I found the one that applied to my macbookpro9,1 laptop. I should say supposed to work because it didn't work until I got medieval on it. All attempts to run the bootcamp setup always met with the "The version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model." Even when extracting the windows support section from the bootcamp pkg and then running the setup there the same error was given.

So, given that the error was being generated by the installer and this package was clearly supposed to be the correct Bootcamp for my macbook version I decided to 'assist' the installer. I went and installed the msi install editor InstEd and used it edit the bootcamp64.msi installer that is down inside the /drivers/apple folder in the WindowsSupport section of the bootcamp distribution. I then went to the table entry "LaunchCondition" and dropped it from the installer effectively removing the platform checks that had so errantly been screwing me. Then, running the setup.exe for Bootcamp happily ran and installed the full Bootcamp install and all is working now.

Note that attempts to manually run the individiual driver files from inside the WindowsSupport.dmg of the BootCamp.pkg did not get everything working. It worked for graphics and sound but usb, keyboard lightring, and trackpad functions were still fouled. Only after the full bootcamp install did all functions get resolved.

<begin sarcasm>Let me just say this was an awesome experience and I would really like to thank Apple for providing me with this opportunity to learn.</end sarcasm>

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 12:43 PM

33 replies

Nov 21, 2017 1:01 PM in response to GrovrM

Bravo on your perseverance. For me this didn't quite work, so here's an alternative on the same theme:

Situation: Win7 in VirtualBox on MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Early 2013 (because the drivers no longer exist for my Early 2015 model!)

1. Download drivers from Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621 (carefully check the System Requirements to make sure your model is on the list).
  2. Uncompress, run cmd as administrator and cd to extracted BootCamp5 folder.
  3. cd "BootCamp\Drivers\Apple"
  4. msiexec /i BootCamp.msi

Somehow this skips the invalid model check and still performs the complete installation. Installing individual drivers did frustratingly nothing, but after this method my built-in Bluetooth hardware suddenly installed without an issue!

Nov 20, 2012 2:27 PM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

Stick to Boot Camp Assistant.

Disable any settings in OS X Network regarding Auto Proxy Detect or Enable in Advanced Settings.

Don't use Norton for Mac, it interferes.

Change the DNS IP to OpenDNS in your router (and in OS X Network settings though that should be blank really) so that they don't interfere.

And keep trying w/ BCA.

Nope nope nope.

"Keep trying w/ BCA" is a exercise in futility. In my case, even when the correct package was downloaded, it STILL wouldn't install. GrovrM's method worked perfectly.

-Deek

Dec 24, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Beacoach

Beacoach wrote:

I have down loaded the file. http://ryan.ript.net/files/BootCamp64.msi.Now what do i do with it to make boot camp assistat work? Thanks.

As this is an unofficial download I have no idea, if it works the same as the official one you would copy it to a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive (or a CD) and run it after you boot Windows.

But, as I said, I have no idea specificaly about the file you downloaded.

Jan 16, 2013 4:36 AM in response to GrovrM

After hours of searching, the (InstEd) over-ride finally allowed me to do a boot camp install on windows 8 RTM on my macbook pro retina (15").

I was receiving the same error message that "this version of boot camp is not designed for this computer model".

FYI - I was upgrading from the Windows 8 consumer preview (and haven't booted into OS X since the first week I bought the machine.)

Mar 22, 2013 11:24 AM in response to Jonny The Boy

Hi, great post but with some bootcamp64.msi (e.g. 4.1 4586) files it`s easier to use the "NOCHECK=1" option in command line.

Have another problem while update bootcamp on my iMac 21,5" late 2010 from version 3.3 to 4.x. Setup.exe starts (as amin), install grafic driver something like this and display an error "bootcamp64.msi is not a valid install package for product Boot-Camp Services" (free translation from german - sorry :-)

Tried different versions 4.0x, 4.1 - same error. Any hints?

Thx, Ole

Bootcamp giving error on new MacBookPro "The version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.