Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming just audio, Apple TV or should I get an Airport Express?

I want to put some speakers in the kitchen so I can listen to music when I cook. I thought about getting an Airplay speaker but the more I thought about it the more it seemed like a better solution for someone like me was to get an Airplay-ready device and then pick out my own speakers.

So after doing a bit of research I'm tied between the Airport Express and the Apple TV. The Apple TV has more media functionality that I'd like but I'm not sure if I can get away with just plugging it into a set of speakers and controlling it from my iPad. Is there something about the Apple TV that makes it require a TV be attached, either something in the way you interact with it or a hardware/software requirement?

If not, I think it might be the better direction for me. I don't really need a second router in my apartment (I already have an Extreme) as my place isn't that big. It also means if I want to use the Apple TV for it's more traditional purposes sometime later, I can.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iMac11,3

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 9:47 PM

Apple TV requires an HDTV so for your needs I would say the Airport Express.

6 replies

Jul 13, 2012 10:45 PM in response to Doug_S

While people have been successful at getting AppleTV 2/3 to run for audio alone without HDMI connection using the optical out some firmware updates have crippled this in some instances, but supposedly corrected later.

I'd go for the Express as bear in mind you'd need a speaker with optical in to use AppleTV - it has no analogue out.

AC

Jul 13, 2012 11:44 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of people ever running the ATV in an audio-only mode but I did more Googling and it did seem to support that it could be done at certain points but never reliably. As such I think the APE is my best option.

Though, one correction is that the Express does allow for analog-out. From what I can tell it's the same port as on teh back of any Mac. I wonder if it does pass-through on Digital? That would be pretty nice...

Either way, thanks!

Streaming just audio, Apple TV or should I get an Airport Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.