Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with ethernet port

So I have a wierd problem.

Sometimes the ethernet port is working, sometimes not.

I've tested the ethernet cable and it works perfect with other computerS.

I've tested my macbook pro with other ethernet cables and the problem still occurs.

I've tested the ethernet plug (in the wall) and it works pefect with other computerS.

So only last potential problem : the ethernet plug / card IN my macbook pro.

It is a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 8 Gb of 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM, and OS X 10.7.4.

The problem is just random... sometime it works, sometime it doesn't... sometimes it works, and stop working... sometimes it works for days without problems... sometimes it doesn't work for days, with nothing to do.

Can anyone help? I don't think I'm on the warranty anymore... so before I go drop my MBP at an Apple Store, I want to make sure I've tryed everything.

Especially for the price I paid for this MBP, can't believe I'm hustling with such a basic feature......

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:19 PM

13 replies

Aug 3, 2017 5:58 AM in response to Uge

Hey guys.

I just recently found out that my Ethernet port stopped working. I tried this simple following solution I found in the internet and it works instantly! It took less than 5 min. Try this out!

Connect to the internet via your WiFi. Open Terminal and type the following command. Admin password will be asked.

sudo softwareupdate --background

All the best!!

Source:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/28/apple-confirms-os-x-update-broke-ethernet-port-on -some-macs-heres-how-to-fix/

Jul 13, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Uge

Look in the port and see if there is any dust or debrit. Are the tines bent? Take a cotton swab with some rubbing alchohol or contact cleaner and gently clean the tines (the gold strands of metal). If the problem persists it may be the network card or it is possible you have a broken or cold soilder on the port.

You can see the card activity under Utilities >> Network Utility. Select the Ethernet card (en0) and the Info button. You should see the activity of the network card. If there are a large number of errors you may need to replace the card.

DB

Jul 16, 2012 3:07 PM in response to idaveb

Hi Idaveb,

I see it in the NETWORK with a red dot and it says "a network cable is disconnected" (which obviously is not right).

Then if I click assist me, then I can't select anything else that WIFI and OTHER.

I see the option to ETHERNET but it's in gray.

At this point, I feel that my ETHERNET CARD is not even WORKING anymore !

Sep 2, 2012 6:14 PM in response to Uge

I've used the reset chache solution with mixed success. I finally tripped over something that actually works every time. The "secret" seems to be getting the apply button active when you are on the "location" where the ethernet connection is configured. Here is what I did.

1. move the ethernet connection configuration to another "location" within network preferences. I called mine Home Wired.
  2. When the cable disconnected situation occurs, switch to the location that has wireless and enable wireless. Now turn it back off.
  3. Switch to the wired location and highlight the wired configuration and click apply. It goes through the steps of acquiring an IP and then you are connected.

Easy peezy

Problem with ethernet port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.