Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sync my iphone to another itunes without erasing

my laptop won't turn on because of a virus or something. i'm trying to sync my music to my husbands laptop, but i don't want to erase my music to do so because i won't be able to get it back. what can i do?

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:45 PM

There is nothing to do. This is how the iphone is designed.

You can sync with one and only one computer at a time. Syncing to another will erase the current content and replace with content from the new computer.

The sync is also one way - computer to iphone. The only exception is itunes purchases: File>Transfer Purchases

Use your backup copy of your computer to move everything to the other computer.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2012 5:45 PM in response to megan_blue

There is nothing to do. This is how the iphone is designed.

You can sync with one and only one computer at a time. Syncing to another will erase the current content and replace with content from the new computer.

The sync is also one way - computer to iphone. The only exception is itunes purchases: File>Transfer Purchases

Use your backup copy of your computer to move everything to the other computer.

Jul 13, 2012 6:46 PM in response to megan_blue

iTunes: How to share music and video - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688 - about Music Sharing and Home Sharing

Home Sharing Support page - http://www.apple.com/support/homesharing/

If you got it to turn on what I would do is take a flash drive and copy the whole iTunes folder and everything it contains to the flash drive (or an external hard drive if a flash drive is too small). It should then be possible to set up your library on a computer (I don't use Windows but I would know how to do it on a Mac). As said earlier, with Home Sharing you can get the music but you will have to create a new library with it somewhere and then sync your phone to that library. It will sync as brand new library, erasing the content of you phone. If you copy the old library and get that working then the phone will just see it as your library and sync normally.

Sep 17, 2012 2:45 AM in response to megan_blue

using Senuti (itunes spelled backwards) you could simply move the music you currently have on your phone onto your husbands laptop. Simply install the application on your husbands laptop, plug in iphone with cable, select a folder where music should get saved to and it'll transfer everything.

The free version lets you copy 1,000 songs. If you have more songs to get off your iphone you can buy the full version for $19.

You can get a 64Gb flashdrive nowadays for $30, buy one and get everything off your old laptop. Another reason to buy one: backing-up your music/photos/documents!!! First you will have a back-up (which is a MUST in this day and age), and when you visit relatives/friends you can always show them your pictures of vacation XYZ or billy's performance of ZYX.

Hope that helps

Oct 9, 2012 4:20 PM in response to fabiang18

As you may know, Apple only allows you to sync with one iTunes library at a time. With Library Tunes, you can get around this restriction by enabling iTunes to manage your Apple device with multiple computers. It guides you step-by-step. You can also use it to discover the ID on your old computer and then set your new computer's library to that old ID, thus enabling access. It's free, but as its author, I am required to say that I may receive financial compensation from Library Tunes.

Oct 21, 2012 10:21 PM in response to MonAleGut

Hi MonAleGut,

The short answer is yes, it should be possible.

When you plug in your Apple device to your new computer that's synced with your old computer, you probably get the "erase and sync" message.

Library Tunes will discover your old computer's iTunes Library ID (from your Apple Device) and apply this ID to your new computer's library. By doing this, you should be able to put new media files on your Apple device using your new computer. You should also be able to transfer purchases from your Apple device to your new computer's iTunes library. For non-purchases, you can use a program like SharePod to transfer.

Library Tunes will create a backup of your new computer's library just in case. There's a chance there's nothing in your new computer's iTunes library yet, so nothing to lose.

Again, I have to mention by advocating the use of Library Tunes, although it is a free program, I may receive compensation.

how to sync my iphone to another itunes without erasing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.