Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have imovie on ipad and cannot delete videos.

I have read support on how to delete a video from the ipad in imovie and there is supposed to be an edit button in the upper left corner but it does not exist.

I also have some 12 Gig of memory used up but 'usage' in settings does show where this massive amount of data is, it only shows about 4Gig of usage.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 3:40 AM

IMovie let's you delete video shot using iMovie.

IF you shot the video using the camera app, you need to delete the video using the photos app.

Only the photos app can delete video from the camera roll (well your computer can too).

9 replies

Jul 16, 2012 8:17 AM in response to Kiwiphone4

Kiwiphone4,

Thanks but this was an imported video from an SD card from a GoPro camera to the iPad. I have searched for how to delete videos on the internet and there was a 'how to' that described an 'edit' button in the upper left that you could click and and get a delete option. However there is no edit button.

I can delete a project in iMovie but not the imported video shown on the side bar in the editor. I looked for a 'photos' app and there is no app on my iPad and I couldn't find one in the apple store.

But my other BIG problem is that when I go to 'usage' I see only 3Gig used by applications but iPad says that 9.8 Gig is used, leaving a missing 6.8 Gig of used memory that is invisible that I cannot delete or even know what it is and it is filling up my iPad so I only have 3.6Gig left.

Hal

Jul 19, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Halichopter2

IF you imported via the camera connection kit ,then you need to delete the video in the photos app; which is where it was imported.

The photos app is the one that you imported the video to.

It is a built in app and cannot be deleted.

IT is the app that lets you view photos.

Imovie does not have access to delete video from the photos app.

I have no idea what the other space is on your iPad sorry.

You should do a search at the general iPad forum, I have seen this come up lots.

Jul 20, 2012 10:36 AM in response to Kiwiphone4

Kiwiphone,

Thanks for your help.

You are correct about the location of the file. I had looked for the Photos app in the main app page but completely neglected to look at the permanent apps on the bar on the bottom of the iPad, and there is was.

"Photos" seems to be an odd place for a movie to be automatically stored but now that I know......

So I went to the Apple store Genius bar to find out where the mysterious files were chewing up my hard drive (analogous to "dark matter" in space :-). The person that was helping me was able to see how big this missing space was by connecting to his Mac via iTunes. There is the file usage bar in iTunes where you can see what is using your memory space. It uses colors to show how much is consumed with music, video etc. The yellow color was indicating a huge amount of 'other' files and the tech was surprised by how much I had consumed in 'other'. Note! The Usage application in the iPad settings IS NOT capable of seeing these other files. The tech said these files were in iPad "limbo".

He said I could recover this space by restoring the iPad (after first syncing it with my Mac at home). I connected to my Mac to sync (had not done that for weeks) and just the act of syncing freed up several gigabytes of storage. I might have freed up some more by restoring but I was a little concerned about restoring losing something (should I be or should I go for it?).

Hal

Sep 25, 2016 7:27 PM in response to Halichopter2

I Imported video in to my iMovie then couldn't figure out how to delete it. It's not possible from video page. If it's in your iCloud Drive you just go in to your camera and delete it and it will be gone from the program. For other imports you have to be working/editing in a project ie my movie 38, click on edit and go in to the program. On the top right you will see media, it says moments, video, photos etc. Click on video, from there click on imovie media. The imported clip will be there. Click on Edit button on the top right and it will let you delete the imported video. If it is in use with one of your projects it will tell you and you will have to delete the project before it allows you to delete the clip.

CLaudia

I have imovie on ipad and cannot delete videos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.