Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minimum Build Requirements

I'm trying to get to an understanding of the minimum build requirements for an xCode project.

When you load a New Project, it starts with an NSDocument Object template and a nib file. Is it possible to build an object and run it without the nib file? Is it possible to build a stand-alone Cocoa project as an object other than an NSDocument?

iMac

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:56 PM

Yes, remove the check mark from "Create Document-Based Application"

User uploaded file

8 replies

Jul 14, 2012 12:01 AM in response to mark133

So if I have an application delegate, there is only one place in the code where a method is called from the superclass, and so any original code has to start in that block. But if it's an NSDocument with a window, etc, then there are several methods that are called from the superclass, and original code can start from anywhere in those blocks?

Jul 14, 2012 7:37 AM in response to mark133

mark133 wrote:

So if I have an application delegate, there is only one place in the code where a method is called from the superclass, and so any original code has to start in that block. But if it's an NSDocument with a window, etc, then there are several methods that are called from the superclass, and original code can start from anywhere in those blocks?

This supposition ignores the protocol methods offered by the application delegate.

@interface myCreateAppDelegate : NSObject <NSApplicationDelegate>  {

See the NSApplicationDelegate Reference.

Oct 20, 2012 4:06 AM in response to xnav

Thank you for taking the time to provide those pointers, xnav. Looking back at my question, I don't see how you were able to unravel it, apart from a tremendous desire to be helpful. I've since learned enough of Cocoa (including through these pointers you provided) to have a satisfactory answer to this, likely common, question. Still, I can't quite figure out how I would answer it.

Minimum Build Requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.