Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing login details

I use my Mac Pro to control my Mac Mini (media center).

There is no monitor on the Mac Mini so I use the built in screen sharing from OS X 10.7

I load this several times a day and I find it frustrating to have to replace the "shortname" with my user name on the Mac Mini: "Media Center"

I have selected the "remember this password in my keychain" but I still have to retype "Media Center" in every time.

Is there a way to automatically store "Media Center" in the name field? Possibly with a line of code in terminal?

Thanks for the help!

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 8:38 AM

from the terminal you can use

open vnc://shortname@your_mac_mini_name.local

You could then put this into an Automator app that invokes "Run Shell Script" where you replace the 'cat' command with the 'open' command.

It will make life a lot easier if you make your Mac mini's System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer name a single word with no spaces in it and not strange special characters. The terminal command will appreciate that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2012 8:38 AM in response to Joe914

from the terminal you can use

open vnc://shortname@your_mac_mini_name.local

You could then put this into an Automator app that invokes "Run Shell Script" where you replace the 'cat' command with the 'open' command.

It will make life a lot easier if you make your Mac mini's System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer name a single word with no spaces in it and not strange special characters. The terminal command will appreciate that.

Screen Sharing login details

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.