Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Helo, how i can clean my macbook pro from "others file ".. it is consumed more than 25giga from my hard ?!

Helo,

how i can clean my macbook pro from "others file ".. it is consumed more than 25giga from my hard ?!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:07 PM

21 replies

Jul 14, 2012 12:09 AM in response to osamah01

check your media ( itunes folder)

i moved my itunes folder to an external drive, edit the itunes preferences so it knows the new storage address.

also check iPhoto / Aperture preferences, tick off the faces feature, it creates huge extra files amounting to gigs of new data

check your Mail preferences, go to account, on mail behaviour, select save old messages, omit attachement

or dont save any copies on hard drive at all.

that will ease up your space.

even better if you also export your iPhoto library to external drive as well.

there are videos on how to export itunes, iphoto libraries to an external drives on youtube.

good luck

Jul 14, 2012 12:31 AM in response to rdsvs

iTunes media, though, usually shows up as "Audio," iPhoto and Aperture pics as "Photos," video as "Movies,", etc. This doesn't look as if it's TM snapshots, either (which are labeled as "Backups"). This looks as if it's just a lot of user documents, to me. I would suggest that the OP do a "Get Info" on both Documents and Download folders and see if that's where the space is being used.

Clinton

Jul 14, 2012 12:47 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clintone wrote:

iTunes media, though, usually shows up as "Audio," iPhoto and Aperture pics as "Photos," video as "Movies,", etc. This doesn't look as if it's TM snapshots, either (which are labeled as "Backups"). This looks as if it's just a lot of user documents, to me. I would suggest that the OP do a "Get Info" on both Documents and Download folders and see if that's where the space is being used.

i didnt get ur points ! sorry ...

BR

Jul 14, 2012 12:54 AM in response to osamah01

I'm just saying that it doesn't look as if it's "Backups" (which are shown in purple) that are your problem. Same cae with photo's, video's, audio, etc.

Select your Documents folder, either from your home directory, or from the Sidebar, and select Get Info (Command-I) from the Finder. See how much space that folder is holding. If you do a lot of downloading, also do the same for your "Downloads" folder.

I don't see any snapshots in your screen shot, which is unusual if you have them enabled. It looks like a lot of unspecified documents.

Check your Documents and Download folders and call back with the results.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jul 14, 2012 12:57 AM in response to AnaMusic

hi Clinton,

i have podcast, movies, tvshows, music on my itunes, also voice memos

and last time i found "others" on my hdd, i decided to move the files away on external hdd, and about 30 gb is reduced after on space under "others"

back to Osama,

remember, your external hard drive has to be formatted correctly to work as external itunes and iphoto libraries.

disk utility, format them as mac os extended (journaled)

about moving your itunes library to external hdd, check the step by step video here

http://youtu.be/CbGmDJtQTGQ

about moving your multiple iphoto library

http://youtu.be/J6N2K_gRKsQ

multiple libraries is no problem, keep them separate, and if you want to switch, restart the iphoto, and press Option key.

Jul 14, 2012 1:40 AM in response to osamah01

What did you find? Was your Documents folder nearly as large as the file size for "Other"?

If so, all you can do is start backing up your files that you seldom use to some kind of external storage. An external 'work' hard drive (independent of your Time Machine drive), DVD, USB flash, etc.

If, however, your Documents folder doesn't contain that much data, then I don't know what's wrong. Can you post the amount of storage that your Documents folder is reporting?

Clinton

Jul 14, 2012 1:56 AM in response to osamah01

Hi Osama,

those others file may in my similar case be your itunes library. my others file gone by 30Gb of 40Gb by deleting itunes library.

try move your itunes library to external drive, then delete your copy in the internal drive, then see the others space decreasing.

i know this by experience. sometimes others can mean my itunes library.

it may also be like Clinton said, your documents.

i find that "Others file" arent very helpful.

Jul 14, 2012 1:54 AM in response to rdsvs

rdsvs wrote:

sometimes others can mean my itunes library.

It shouldn't - I don't have my whole iTunes collection on my internal drive; just 176 GBs or so. But this is what my Storage tab looks like:

User uploaded file

See how most of the space is consumed with Audio? That's what music on your Storage tab should show. I also keep most of my iPhoto pics on an external drive, hence no big "Photos." Also see my Apps, Backups, and "Other."

I wish the OP would get back with how much space his Documents folder is using - I guess he may be asleep.

Clinton

Helo, how i can clean my macbook pro from "others file ".. it is consumed more than 25giga from my hard ?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.