Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th gen iPod stuck with eject message on screen

When I connected the ipod to my macbook I was advised that there was a problem and it suggested that I restore to factory default. I was about to do this, but on noticing the warning that all media would be erased I clicked cancel.

What happened next was that the ipod icon disappeared from the itunes side bar and desktop, but the 'eject before disconnecting' message remained on the ipod screen.

It is now disconnected from the computer, but the eject message remains and it does not respond to any input.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - many thanks.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 4:51 AM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2012 11:09 AM in response to Jonathan Dunckley

This is a 4th gen "classic" iPod, correct? Try doing a Reset on the iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

A Reset "reboots" the iPod. The iPod is not erased. However, that message you described, "there was a problem and it suggested that I restore to factory default," might indicate data corruption or other problem related to the iPod's hard drive. So a Restore may need to be tried.

NOTE: If this is a 4th gen iPod and it is connected to your MacBook using a USB docking cable, you may be asked to connect it to a power adapter as the last step of the Restore process. So, hopefully, you have the white square power adapter that came with that iPod, or another Apple USB power adapter. (That iPod model also connects using FireWire, with a FireWire docking cable. There is no connect to power adapter step, if a FireWire connection is used.)

4th gen iPod stuck with eject message on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.