Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Canon Powershot G10 does not show up in 10.7.4

Nevertheless it is listed in supported digital camera RAW formats.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 9:49 AM

Just because it supports the RAW formats, does not mean the USB connection will work. Most digital cameras data transfer work better if you just connect the media card to the Mac via a media card reader, and then you don't waste the camera's battery reading the photos. Current MacBook Pros have SD card readers. I don't have time right now to lookup your camera, to find out if yours supports SD. If it doesn't, there are plenty of card readers by Sans Disk and/or multifunction printers with card readers that support other formats.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2012 9:49 AM in response to Kverlin

Just because it supports the RAW formats, does not mean the USB connection will work. Most digital cameras data transfer work better if you just connect the media card to the Mac via a media card reader, and then you don't waste the camera's battery reading the photos. Current MacBook Pros have SD card readers. I don't have time right now to lookup your camera, to find out if yours supports SD. If it doesn't, there are plenty of card readers by Sans Disk and/or multifunction printers with card readers that support other formats.

Jul 15, 2012 10:43 PM in response to Kverlin

You don't have to install any software. Image Capture can access the camera. (So can iPhoto and Aperture.) The camera is not a disk, and it will not act like one in the Finder. Image Capture gives access to many more features than a mass storage device in the Finder would -- for example tethered shooting and synchronizing the camera's clock (assuming Canon supports those features).

Jul 17, 2012 4:32 AM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

I've tried different cables and different order of (plug in / switch on / open iPhoto) and still no effect. Win still recognizes camera with all my cabels, so I assume that camera USB port and camera software are ok.

Anyway - I am happy with cardreader. I've never used it before so I was a little bit worried about it's reliability, but it works perfect, so I have nothing to complain about at the moment 🙂.

Jul 17, 2012 5:05 AM in response to Kverlin

It is a big problem that has existed with digital cameras since the beginning. For whatever reason, they fail to use the HID standard properly, or test for its compliance. Apple uses this standard with all its devices. Image Capture may be a little more forgiving than iPhoto in terms of seeing the camera, so you might want to try that, with its variosu preferences.

My Canon Powershot G10 does not show up in 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.