8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 11:27 AM by idaveb
Knollsdog Level 1 Level 1

The pop-ups are these white windows with script in black that say things like: Open Tab ... / Save to Evernote ... etc. Happens at least once a day and one they appear I inevitably have to click somewhere off the page, on the desktop, before returning to the opened document to be able to continue working normally. Any ideas how I can get rid of this annoyance?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), My Lion software was an upgrade
Reply by clintonfrombirmingham on Jul 15, 2012 1:50 AM Helpful

Try going into Users and Groups under System Preferences, select your account name and seeing what log-in items you have. Is the Evernote daemon there? If not, open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder and searching, using the search box in the top right-hand corner for "evernote". If you can't find anything running, try downloading the free EasyFind from the App Store and searching your drive for "evernote". Delete any files that you may find.

If Evernote doesn't come with an uninstaller and you just deleted the application, it might have (and sounds as if it did) left some extra files behind. I usually suggest that, if an application does not come with an uninstaller, people use AppDelete to remove the application and any associated files. I've never used Evernote and know nothing about it, but something is causing those messages to pop up and Evernote seems to be the culprit.

Good luck,

Clinton

Reply by idaveb on Jul 19, 2012 11:27 AM Helpful

Are you using a mouse or the track pad? These pop-ups are context menus. Your RIGHT CLICK is stuck on. Go to Preferences >> Track Pad >> Point & Click and unckeck Secondary Click and see if it stops. If it is a mouse, then the right button is probably stuck (if there is one).

All replies

• idaveb Level 2 Level 2

Is this while using Safari with Evernote open in a page? Is Evernote open? Evernote also has an in memory daemon that runs. You can turn that off see Preferences >> Users & Groups >> select your user then click Logon Items. You may need to uninstall Evernote, delete the database and reinstall it (it will load the datbase again).

Try shutting down the computer and uncheck "Relaunch programs at startup" when it shuts down.

• Knollsdog Level 1 Level 1

I dont use Safari - I use Forefox - and I think I sucessfully deleted Evernote from my computer some time ago. I cant even remember why I downloaded Evernote to begin with - I have never used it - for anything. This problem I am having feels more like an Operating System glitch. Does anyone else have this problem?

• idaveb Level 2 Level 2

It has Evernote in the popup you said. Did you look to see if the daemon is loaded at logon? Uncheck it and see if it goes away. A Daemon is an OS thing.

After Googling about and trying to learn about daemons and agents, etc. I still have no idea where to begin looking to see if 'the daemon is loaded at logon'. This exceeds the bounds of my computer literacy. Though it sounds promising ...

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Try going into Users and Groups under System Preferences, select your account name and seeing what log-in items you have. Is the Evernote daemon there? If not, open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder and searching, using the search box in the top right-hand corner for "evernote". If you can't find anything running, try downloading the free EasyFind from the App Store and searching your drive for "evernote". Delete any files that you may find.

If Evernote doesn't come with an uninstaller and you just deleted the application, it might have (and sounds as if it did) left some extra files behind. I usually suggest that, if an application does not come with an uninstaller, people use AppDelete to remove the application and any associated files. I've never used Evernote and know nothing about it, but something is causing those messages to pop up and Evernote seems to be the culprit.

Good luck,

Clinton

Following your advice - After coming up empty-handed looking at the complicated activity monitor file lists, I downloaded the 'easyfind' app which found 348 Evernote files still hiding in my system! I just delted them all, definitively, and we shall see. I am hoping the problem is now solved but I wont know for a while since, although it comes up frequently, there has been no rhyme nor reason for when it happens. Thanks very much for your patient suggestions.

AS I FEARED THE PROBLEM PERSISTS - 'EVERNOTE' NO LONER APPEARS ON THE LIST OF OPTIONS BUT AS I FEARED BOTHERSOME EVERNOTE WAS NOT REALLY THE ISSUE - IT IS SOMETHING ELSE MORE ENDEMIC TO HOW MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS WORKING ON THIS MACBOOK PRO. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT JUST POPPED UP A FEW MINUTES AGO. WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL FOR A SOLUTION TO THIS. IT IS SOOOO ANNOYING. ONCE AGAIN - TO GET RID OF THESE POP UP WINDOWS, OR AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I AM CALLING THEM - I NEED TO CLICK AND CLICK, MOSTLY OUT OF THE PROGRAM ON THE DESKTOP BEFORE GOING BACK. AND IT IS CURSOR RELATED.

IMG_0714.jpg

• idaveb Level 2 Level 2

Are you using a mouse or the track pad? These pop-ups are context menus. Your RIGHT CLICK is stuck on. Go to Preferences >> Track Pad >> Point & Click and unckeck Secondary Click and see if it stops. If it is a mouse, then the right button is probably stuck (if there is one).