Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create key switches that trigger different chords

Could someone tell me whether this is possible to do in Logic Pro:

I want to define 24 possible chords, in 3 banks of 8, as offsets from the note played. For example, one chord might be defined as (-5,0,+6) which would play the chord (G3, C4, F#4) if it got the note C4 as input. I would like to use the bottom 3 notes of my keyboard to control which bank of chords, and the next 8 notes to control which chord from that bank. For example if the above chord was the 5th one in the 2nd bank, I'd like it to be operational after pressing my lowest C# (C: bank 1, C#: bank 2, D: bank 3) and G in the bottom octave (Eb: chord 1, E: chord 2, F: chord 3 etc.).

As this is for compositional purposes I don't even need a sequencer/host--I just want to be able to play in real-time to test chord sequences out (I'm using some microtonal tuning systems). The thing is, I definitely can't see a way to accomplish it using any of my virtual instruments in stand-alone mode, so maybe there's a way to do it through Logic.

Thanks for any hints.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17", early 2009

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:59 AM

You could try using the chord memoriser, which is an environment object - basically, it enbles you to play a pre-defined chord from one note on the keyboard, which I think may be what you want. Its easy to use, anyway (I had no trouble with it and I'm no environment expert). You can use it with one of Logic's many scale options, if that's what you mean.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/composition/play-chords-with-one-finger-usin g-logic-pros-chord-memorizer/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2012 10:59 AM in response to montagular

You could try using the chord memoriser, which is an environment object - basically, it enbles you to play a pre-defined chord from one note on the keyboard, which I think may be what you want. Its easy to use, anyway (I had no trouble with it and I'm no environment expert). You can use it with one of Logic's many scale options, if that's what you mean.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/composition/play-chords-with-one-finger-usin g-logic-pros-chord-memorizer/

Jul 14, 2012 12:48 PM in response to chorleyman

Thanks chorleyman. The chord memoriser lets me predefine one chord for every note on the keyboard. What I'm looking for is a way to define multiple chords (24 in fact), and to be able to switch between which one is selected by holding down a combination of notes in the lowest octave that are not mapped to any sound, but control the choice of 24 chords for any given sounding note. Probably I need to program a simple MAX patch and connect it to the Environment, but I would have liked to try it completely within Logic.

How to create key switches that trigger different chords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.