Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I polish scratches out of my MacBook Pro early 2011?

Hello,

I have some minor scratches in my MBP and I'm asking myself if I could polish them out. I heard that polishing the MBP will damage the anodization of the case. Are there any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:30 PM

pigeonandpants wrote:

I heard that polishing the MBP will damage the anodization of the case.

correct. leave it as is.

5 replies

Jul 14, 2012 1:57 PM in response to pigeonandpants

Scratches are grooves, if you sand it out it creates a depression and further mars the surface over a larger area, as your removing material.

The best thing to do is either leave it alone or fill the groove with matching color that when dried it blends in and reduces the attraction.

If you get the paint on the surface, use a soft cloth to wipe if off when wet or a plastic scrapper to chip if off when dry so the grove is flush with a surface.

The hardest thing is getting matching paint, perhaps online there are kits for that.

Jul 14, 2012 3:02 PM in response to pigeonandpants

Your on the right track, it's a matter of matching the case as closely as possible.

Search online, perhaps there is Mac case matching colors/fill for scratches.

If your scratch has pushed metal up and over the surface level of the case, sort of like what occurs with a meteor crater,

User uploaded file

then you first need to use a metal bar and a small hammer to very, very gently tap it down so it's flush first, before using the paint/fill.

You can tell if you need to do this if you run your sentitive tip of one of your fingers gently over the scratch, you will feel it's edges are slightly raised.

Another trick is to use a new flat razor blade, and gently run it over the scratch, you will feel and see if it's not perfectly smooth on the surface.

Can I polish scratches out of my MacBook Pro early 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.