Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Contacts/Address Book are totally screwed up now that I'm on the Cloud!

I have a new Mac. I'm now on the Cloud for the first time... and my contacts are SO screwed up! There are duplicates. Names appear inconsistently (last name first; first name last, etc). And the contacts on my computer Address Book don't match the ones on my iPhone.Oh! And there are missing entries from one device to the other. SO frustrating! I think it's probably a case of not having the right settings on either the Mac or on the iPhone....or on both?? Can anyone help me? I went to the Geniuses but they were, sadly, not helpful.

iPhone 4S, Synching w the Cloud and my new MAC

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 2:06 PM

A new mac? How did you get contacts onto the mac in the first place? And concerning iCloud, do you have more than your mac that uses the same iCloud account to sync contacts?

As I recall, there's a setting for Address Book that determines whether the first name or last name is displayed first. I remember my wife had a number of her contacts reversed (first name in the last name slot) and this messed up the display. You might look at that closely - the same thing may be occuring.

If you are syncing another device via iCloud using the same account (to sync contacts, for example), be sure to turn off syncing in iTunes, otherwise you'll get duplicates (synced from two sources).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Susan Singer

A new mac? How did you get contacts onto the mac in the first place? And concerning iCloud, do you have more than your mac that uses the same iCloud account to sync contacts?

As I recall, there's a setting for Address Book that determines whether the first name or last name is displayed first. I remember my wife had a number of her contacts reversed (first name in the last name slot) and this messed up the display. You might look at that closely - the same thing may be occuring.

If you are syncing another device via iCloud using the same account (to sync contacts, for example), be sure to turn off syncing in iTunes, otherwise you'll get duplicates (synced from two sources).

Jul 14, 2012 2:17 PM in response to pvonk

To answer your first question, I had all of my contacts synched onto my OLD (very old) MAC via a cable from my iPhone.

As for the iCloud, my Mac and my iPhone both use the same cloud account. I have the settings set to display last name first, but that isn't happening consistently on both devices (mac and phone) so I'm not sure what else to do to fix that.

I also have a TON of duplicates on the Mac, but not (thankfully) on my phone because the default setting on the phone is set to "On my iPhone".

I will look into the itunes synching to see if that's an issue. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2012 5:01 AM in response to Susan Singer

Susan Singer wrote:

To answer your first question, I had all of my contacts synched onto my OLD (very old) MAC via a cable from my iPhone.

As for the iCloud, my Mac and my iPhone both use the same cloud account. I have the settings set to display last name first, but that isn't happening consistently on both devices (mac and phone) so I'm not sure what else to do to fix that.

I also have a TON of duplicates on the Mac, but not (thankfully) on my phone because the default setting on the phone is set to "On my iPhone".

I will look into the itunes synching to see if that's an issue. Thanks!

Check address book for 2 accounts, On My Mac and iCloud, only use one of them (iCloud) unless you like duplicates.

User uploaded file

Indexing can be fixed in Address Book>Preferences>General

My Contacts/Address Book are totally screwed up now that I'm on the Cloud!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.