Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac CPU,GPU,Ram upgrade Plans

Hello all:

The following is to assist those who wish or plan to upgrade:

I'll be upgrading my iMac's CPU, Graphics Card & RAM this coming week.

current system:

2011 iMac 2.7ghz (27")

Radeon HD 6770M (512mb)

16gb RAM

240gb SSD (system)

1tb hdd (data)

upgrading to:

Core i7-2700k (3.5ghz)

Radeon HD 6970M (2gb)

32gb RAM

I ordered the graphics card from www.dvwarehouse.com, so should have necessary firmware:

1 x Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB for iMac 27" Mid 2011 661-5969.

CPU & RAM upgrade: I'm fairly certain this should go smoothly and work fine afterward, that is if I take the precaution and time needed during the process.

I will report back later in the week on my results, I'll post my before & after system info screenshot also. Wish me luckUser uploaded file

Kenny

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2011 iMac 27" 2.7ghz

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 2:26 PM

71 replies

Jun 10, 2017 7:44 AM in response to etresoft

I agree with etresoft. I bought a computer to get work done, not because I want to be a tech hobbiest. It's nothing to do with being skittish. Computer should work for me, not the other way around. All that should be expected of me is normal care maintenance. I can follow step by step how to upgrade, say, a GPU, and come out successfully, but then if something goes bad later that's related to my work I have lots of research and learning to diagnose and fix that, etc etc. It's a rabbit hole and a time-suck for those of us who don't want a career or hobby in computer hardware tinkering.

Jul 14, 2012 2:36 PM in response to kennyap

Disclaimer - For me the Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico my first language is Spanish. I do not speak English, however I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture very different from that found in most 1st world nations, such as that in the two dominant North American countries. Written language has no tone. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

iMac CPUs and GPUs are usually soldered or glued to the motherboard. Good luck with that.

Jul 14, 2012 4:00 PM in response to kennyap

Additionally, as far as I know, unless the iMac could have originally been ordered as a custom unit with a different graphics card, they are not interchangeable - only replaceable with the same card.

In general, Macs are not user upgradeable (except for the RAM; even hard drive replacement should be done by an AASP). Additionally, if your Mac is still under warranty, it will be voided with the things you are proposing to do.

Good luck!

Jul 14, 2012 4:38 PM in response to babowa

Hello:

Thanks for the responses; the 2011 iMac 27" can be upgraded with the components I'll be receiving this week, they are removable (not soldered). The warranty will be void after I remove the cpu heatsink. My iMac was a gift my wife purchased while visiting Honduras, so I'm not concerned about the warranty.

If anyone would like, I can post the specific links to this information -- the teardowns, walkthrough videos, and posts by individuals who've succeeded with the upgrades I will be doing, or you can also find this if you google "2011 imac gpu upgrade", etc.

Ralph Landry1 : the cpu can be ordered as a stock item from newegg, tigerdirect, etc., but the only two vendors I've seen who provide the Radeon HD 6970M specifically for the 2011 iMac are www.dvwarehouse.com and www.welovemacs.com

Any other questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Jul 14, 2012 4:45 PM in response to kennyap

Since the hardware warranty is very specific, it is generally best not to recommend things that will void the warranty. At the very minimum, add that such work will void the warranty; otherwise you could cause the other user some major headaches.

I've seen the videos and don't intend to do anything to void my Applecare. If I want an upgradeable Mac, I can buy a Mac Pro or a different iMac.

Jul 14, 2012 7:20 PM in response to David M Brewer

I don't have any questions on this topic. I'm a little taken back with how skittish some users are about even the thought of a major upgrade -- no offense intended. I'm a network administrator at my workplace (vmware, windows) always used windows pcs. Bought my first mac 18 months ago, now I have all mac computers at home: 17" Macbook Pro, 11"Macbook Air, 13" Macbook Air, 27" iMac. Customizing/upgrading my computers as much as I can has always been second nature to me. My apologies to everyone if my posts are different than what you're used to hearing.

Jul 15, 2012 8:36 AM in response to kennyap

kennyap wrote:

Customizing/upgrading my computers as much as I can has always been second nature to me. My apologies to everyone if my posts are different than what you're used to hearing.

The Macintosh world is a distinctly different culture than that. You are free to do anything you want to your system, but if it doesn't work, you are on your own. Because there is no culture like that, there will be no one to help. If you were doing this with Linux on a self-built PC, there is a culture to support it. Not here.

Jul 15, 2012 10:21 AM in response to etresoft

The culture is changing with the ability to upgrade the newer machines. I've noticed a lot of people on this forum more closed to the idea of upgrading, most are unaware it can even be done, which is sad in my opinion. Maybe because this is the official support forum. But the other mac sites are like what I'm used to in the past working with pcs:

check out these:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1323028

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-faq/imac-intel-aluminum -processor-upgrade-instructions.html

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/335/page1

the list goes on.

etresoft, we know that mac computers are the best...period. Hardware upgrades are also better for some of the same reasons that make apple computers better; not as customizable -- only certain upgrade paths are possible. Upgrade process more difficult because of mac's intricate design. But once you do the upgrade right, it just works beautifully. And you extend the life of you machine another two years at less than half the cost of getting a new mac.

Open you mind brother. Apple has done everything right, this is just another part of their strategy and I think it's great.

Jul 15, 2012 10:49 AM in response to kennyap

In my opinion, the best way to upgrade an iMac is to buy a new one and sell the older one to offset the price. Since Macs hold their value better than PCs do, then it's likely not to cost you much (if any) more to upgrade that way than trying to do it as you propose.

Now, if you just want to muck around on the inside of your iMac without regard to cost or labor, then that's an okay hobby-project. But recommending it to others is not wise.

2011 iMac CPU,GPU,Ram upgrade Plans

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.