Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are iMacs good for playing video games like Skyrim?

I'm most likely to be getting a baseline iMac and I wanted to know if these computers are good for playing video games such as Skyrim before I get rid of my current PC. Also, are these games even compatable with a Mac. I've heard rumors that you can't play these kind of games on a Mac.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:03 PM

4 replies

Jul 14, 2012 8:56 PM in response to SladeSS

Current iMacs make decent gaming machines, if you want to know if specific games run on OS X then you have to check the specifications of each game. However even if you find a game that is MS Windows only you can still play it by installing MS Windows on your Mac. You need a license of MS Windows to do so but you can use Boot Camp to assist in installing Windows. Then once MS Windows is installed using Boot Camp you can boot the machine to OS X or Windows, Mac's have had that ability for about 6 years now.

Jul 15, 2012 5:48 AM in response to SladeSS

SladeSS wrote:

So, I can interchange between the Mac OS and Windows at any time I want or did I understand that wrong? Is it a one or the other kind of deal?

Yes, please read the Boot Camp FAQ for additional information. You will need to buy a license of Windows 7 and once your get the iMac run an App called Boot Camp Assistant and follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows. Once you have you completed you will have both OS X and Windows 7 installed. BTW there is a Boot Camp forum if you have more detailed questions, that is where the Boot Camp and Windows guys hang out.

Note: Whenever you load MS Windows on your Mac it then becomes a native Windows machine when running Windows. This means like any Windows box it is susceptible to ALL the other issues Windows users have to put up with including viruses and other malware. The good news is even if your Windows partition becomes totally diseased that in no way affects the OS X partition or OS X.

Are iMacs good for playing video games like Skyrim?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.