Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect MacBook Pro to TV

This might seem like a simple question, as you probably will think now that I can just plug in my Mac with a HDMI or VGA cable.

But this isn't easy as you could think, as this is my teacher's TV, and she uses it to connect her PC to mirror the stuff she's doing on her PC (for easier teaching purposes 😝)

Anyway, I have to find a way how to mess up her connection to the TV, and at the same time, connect my Mac to the TV to mirror what I'm doing.

What I mean by this is that I want a way to enable her connection to the TV, and at the same time, enable mine, so that when I finish my presentation, I can just take out my MBP and allow my teacher to continue to mirror her lessons with the TV.

I'm presentating a Keynote presentation, and I do want to convert the Keynote file into Quicktime so that it would be much easier, but I have some videos in it, and the videos play automatically in the Quicktime video, and I can't pause the video, so I have a problem with that.

So if you can find 1 one the 2 solutions for the 2 problems (1. How to connect my MBP along with my teacher's connection running fine 2: How to able to play and pause videos in a Keynote presentation in a Quicktime version.)

You may not understand what I'm saying, and I'm sorry, but please try your best to understand and give me a solution.

😀 Hope you can find the solution quickly! 

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 3:27 PM

The answer to the first question would depend a lot on what sort of input(s) the teacher's TV has and which one she is using. The answer may be as simple as "use different inputs and switch between them" and as difficult as "you can't do what you want."

One clarification, though. You said you "have to find a way how to mess up her connection to the TV". Did you perhaps mean "how not to mess up"?

I have nothing to offer on the second question.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Horace from seoul

The answer to the first question would depend a lot on what sort of input(s) the teacher's TV has and which one she is using. The answer may be as simple as "use different inputs and switch between them" and as difficult as "you can't do what you want."

One clarification, though. You said you "have to find a way how to mess up her connection to the TV". Did you perhaps mean "how not to mess up"?

I have nothing to offer on the second question.

Jul 15, 2012 10:23 PM in response to Horace from seoul

If the teacher is using the "separate PC connecting thing" (probably VGA), nothing should be messed up if you switch the TV to use the HDMI port. If you want to be really sure, ask the teacher if you can read the manual for the TV, or maybe you can find the manual online given the model number and manufacturer name.

Best of luck with your presentation.

Jul 16, 2012 1:12 AM in response to Horace from seoul

Yes, you will need an male-to-male HDMI cable of sufficient length to reach the TV input port from wherever you will have your MacBook Pro during the presentation. (Even if they will be right next to each other, you will need a male-to-male cable, because the adapter and the input on the TV will both be female.

Depending on your exact MacBook Pro model, you may conceivably also need an audio cable, as the Apple page for the adapter says "Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release" (or presumably newer).

Jul 16, 2012 10:57 AM in response to Horace from seoul

I would guess they would be fine together, but I have never used either. I don't own any computer with Mini DisplayPort, and my HDMI cables are not from Apple. Unless you unluckily happen to get a DOA instance of one or the other, they should work together.

I do suggest that you try to schedule a "dry run" to test the lashup before the day you have to give your presentation.

How to connect MacBook Pro to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.