Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed harddrive. Having problems replacing it with a new harddrive.

The hard drive in my Ibook g4 stop working. So insted of fixing i just going to replace the 40 gb harddrive with a 100 but i don't know how. I wont to do a assitence migrate from my power mac g4 but i dont know how. I got a external harddrive but i don't know how to copy the files onto it and then place them in my ibook with the new harddrive.

Also i took this harddrive out of a dell laptop. How can i reformate it.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 7:28 AM

2 replies

Jul 15, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Negativ2

Hello,

You can't do an assistance migrate from a drive you have removed physically from the computer, as well as the fact it might not be working. Your best to just install your replacement 100GB hard drive into your iBook and reinstall Mac OS from he disk.

If you have a back up on external drive then upon installing Mac OS, it does give you the option to setup and use data from the external drive. This depending on what version of Mac OS X you are installing.

Don't worry about formatting the PC hard drive, your Mac OS X install disk will guide you through setting up you replacement drive. Upon the installation, Mac OS X will allow you to select and format the install drive. (You must select option upon installing to a location, then select format option)

Just make sure it's the correct type of drive for an iBook. Dell laptops do have some strange connection configurations on their drives.

Best of luck

Failed harddrive. Having problems replacing it with a new harddrive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.