Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Home Button not working and Voice Control starts on its own

Hi,

Up till last night my iPhone was working totally fine. I never have dropped it nor has anything physical happened to it. I think I may have a software problem but: the home button is not working at all, and the voice control is starting on its own randomly. This started out of the blue last night. This morning, suddenly my home button was working again, for all of 5 minutes, before it went back to not working, and voice control going off on its own again. Oh, and it doesn't turn off at all! Each time I turn the phone off, it will immediately turn itself on again.

It's as if my phone is possessed!

I've tried resetting it already, and also updated to the iatest iOS. Not helping. I tried the trick to go to a native app, hold the wake/sleep button and exit the app, not working.

This is very very odd and I suspect it's a software issue, almost as if there's a virus on my phone.

Anyone habe suggestions?

Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 7:32 AM

To my knowledge voice control is activated by holding down the home button. Is your home button perhaps getting stuck in the down position? Did you spill anything on your phone? Do you use a case that might be depressing your home button?

19 replies

Jul 15, 2012 7:37 AM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

That's what I thought, but no I didn't spill anything on my phone and I've never used a case that covered the front/the home button.

This has really happened out of the blue.

I am also thinking the home button is maybe stuck in the down position, which is why voice control goes off and I cannot turn off the phone at all. But it feels/looks totally fine.

Jul 17, 2012 7:37 PM in response to mleissac

It's crazy right? I was going to post something about how I got it fixed, in a few days. But I'll let ya know:

After getting the run around at the Apple Store, telling me to get a refurbished phone, i went to a local game store based on word of mouth that the man who owns the store fixes iphones.

He took a look at it and replaced the dock connector and ribbon. He showed it to me and guess what? it was beginning to rust. I suspect the rust messed with the connectors and overall messed with my phone including the home button. Anyways he replaced it with a brand new one and voila! everything works fine. in fact, i've noticed - no kidding here - that my phone is performing better.

anyways, i never got water near or in my phone but truth it, humidity and dust etc can cause a tiny amount of rust to build up over months and years. iphones are not perfect, so get it checked. it's a hardware issue most likely.

Nov 21, 2012 3:03 AM in response to jk013

Even I had the same issue when I upgraded IOS 5 to 6. This is so emberrsing .It automatically turns voice control ON, which keeps on saying some nasty things like 'No match found' etc etc even when ur phone is on silent/Vibrate mode.

Also, when I keep my phone unattened for some time, I see that it automically keeps on dialling people from my contact list!!!!!

And when this problem arises, I even loose control of home button.

This is really annoying and I am keeping my phone OFF all the times.

Guys if anyone has ny solution , plz suggest.

Nov 26, 2012 12:27 AM in response to jk013

Ive had this issue since July when we traveled to Austria and originally believed it was somehow caused by the airplane mode feature and disabling roaming... I hunted for answers and of course no one ( friends/family) believes "something is wrong with my phone" because how old is that excuse?? in any case, simply turning off those features under settings, general, accessibility had not stopped my crazy *** phone, att guys said I'm behind in upgrades for phone & should install, download upgrade whatever BUT I DIDN'T. Its beyond frustrating but then over a few days time it (home button) was responding more and more and it began functioning like a sane cell again... then it relapsed and I dug deeper into google searching for an answer. what I found was a suggestion to enable the passcode feature to lock the phone so it was not able to pick up voice commands ( I wasn't giving) so far 2wks now) it's working...

iPhone Home Button not working and Voice Control starts on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.