Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Studio and ProKit 7 conflict

Hi,

I've been trying to find a solution to a problem I've had with FCP Studio but can't seem to find one. Since running a software upgrade on my Mac Pro 2008 running 10.6.8, I can't seem to get DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 4 and a few other parts of FCP Studio 7 to open. They crash instantly on opening and the only solution I have found is replacing ProKit 7, in the system, with an older ProKit 5.1. This works but then knocks out the ability to run some newer Apple apps. I'm running an identical system on a MacBook Pro 2011 and everything seems to run perfectly fine on ProKit 7 so wonder why the Mac Pro can't do the same. I've tried installing ProKit 5 and updating up to version 7, and also tried copying a copy of ProKit 7 from the working MacBook Pro system both without success. Does anyone know of any solution to get all my older FCP Studio apps and new Apple apps to run on the latest ProKit 7 on the Mac Pro? Is there perhaps something else in conflict with the apps?

Any help gratefully received.

Alec

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:00 AM

4 replies

Jul 15, 2012 8:42 AM in response to Alec Chin

well I've got a macpro that's 2 years old and it's running the latest versions of anything that applies to fcp7 updated thru software update without any problems.

You might try some of these troubleshooting tips

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2591

Do you have fcpx installed on the macpro? Seem to remember that there were certain steps necessary to run both fcp7 and fcpx on the same system.

One workaround would be to have 2 different boot drives on your macpro.

Jul 15, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks Michael,

I don't have FCPX only FCP Studio 7 and iLife 11 which seem to conflict with each other due to ProKit 7 on the Mac Pro only.

I've tried using FCP utilities to delete cahces, prefs, etc but makes no difference, it seems to be a associate to ProKit as I can get each set of apps to work by swapping out ProKit with either version 5.1 or 7.0.1 depending on what I want to work. Strange thing is my MacBook Pro is identical in setup and all the apps work with ProKit 7.0.1 so am thinking there must be a system conflict and something in the system is slightly different and has been updated, or not updated.

Aug 12, 2012 1:02 AM in response to Alec Chin

Hi everyone,

Just an update on this problem. I've now resolved it, by luck more then anything!

I was rebuilding another Mac and noticed the exact point the same issue occurred so now know what the cause is, and it's such a simple but strange solution!

During the process of decluttering my system of none essential file (well I thought they were non essential!) I removed a particular file which seems to be needed by the Final Cut Pro Studio apps. This file is in the root System folder (System/Library/Colorsync/Profiles). Make sure you have "Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile.icc"

in the folder or this will cause DVD Studio Pro, Motion4, CinemaTools and a few other Pro apps to unexpectedly quit at launch.

It was that simple! As soon as it was back in place everything was working with the latest ProKit 7 framework (so know need to downgrade Prokit to version 5 anymore!)

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation!

Alec

Final Cut Pro Studio and ProKit 7 conflict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.