Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot. Just show a circle with line through it. And cannot mount. I don't have lion cd. I can't afford to lose my files. MBP 2011 Lion version 10.6. I tried using terminal and fsck but fail.Please help

I forcefully shutdown my MBP 2011, but after it restart and I login, it shows the apple logo. But after sometime it will change into a circle with Aline through it. And it will stock there and do nothing. Then I try to boot in safe mode by pressing shift button when starting the system but it did not work. I tried booting in apple testing mode and it did and test all my hardware and found no problem. Then I tried to boot by pressiing command plus R key. And I was able to boot to disk utility menu. Unfortunately I can see my drive but when I click it I can' go to the first aid tab. And when I click the first disk at the up, it's I will be able to go to first aid tab but when I click repair it's going to come up with error: storage system verify or repair failed. Then I try to use terminal, I have used diskutil command but it doesn't work I try to use the fsck too, it still doesn't work. Please somebody help me. I don't want to lose my files.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 9:01 AM

6 replies

Jul 15, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Kingamada

Kingamada wrote:

I forcefully shutdown my MBP 2011, but after it restart and I login, it shows the apple logo. But after sometime it will change into a circle with Aline through it. And it will stock there and do nothing. Then I try to boot in safe mode by pressing shift button when starting the system but it did not work. I tried booting in apple testing mode and it did and test all my hardware and found no problem. Then I tried to boot by pressiing command plus R key. And I was able to boot to disk utility menu. Unfortunately I can see my drive but when I click it I can' go to the first aid tab. And when I click the first disk at the up, it's I will be able to go to first aid tab but when I click repair it's going to come up with error: storage system verify or repair failed. Then I try to use terminal, I have used diskutil command but it doesn't work I try to use the fsck too, it still doesn't work. Please somebody help me. I don't want to lose my files.

Then can I assume you have a backup? because your disk may have failed, I would try the safe boot and then cmd-r disk repair again, if they don't work you need to take it to the Apple Store.

If you have no backup but do you have another Mac available, and your original one will boot in Target mode you may be able to get data, failing that you can remove the drive from your Mac and attach it to another and try to read the data, but. Your work may be gone, that is a possibility.

Jul 15, 2012 2:51 PM in response to Kingamada

Kingamada wrote:

I don't have a backup, and i don't have another mac, but windows, which is toshiba. can i copy it to windows?

Not without some work, you'll need an external usb enclosure to put the drive in and some software (Paragon HFS) in order to allow the PC to read the Mac drive. Connect the drive (When the first 2 criteria are met) and copy what you can.

Jul 20, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Kingamada

File recovery software: Try using an application such as Data Rescue 3 - http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php or FileSalvage - http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id= 1, or one of the ones listed in the link below. Some have free trial versions that let you see if the software will help before you decide to buy. You will also need a second hard drive equal to or larger in size than your first drive as a destination drive for recovered files.

http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/mac-recovery-software

Cannot boot. Just show a circle with line through it. And cannot mount. I don't have lion cd. I can't afford to lose my files. MBP 2011 Lion version 10.6. I tried using terminal and fsck but fail.Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.