Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New contacts on iPhone don't show up on Macbook?

I've got iCloud set up on my iPhone and my Macbook. I thought I had all the settings correct, but apparently I'm missing something. Either that, or I don't understand how iCloud is really supposed to work.

Anyway, when I enter a new contact into my iPhone, it doesn't show up in my address book on my Macbook. Isn't this exactly what iCloud is supposed to do? When I enter a new contact on my iPhone, it does show up on my iCloud.com, but doesn't make it to my iMac. Lastly, when I enter a new contact into my address book on my Macbook, it doesn't make it to my iPhone or even my iCloud.com.

I'm guessing that I have a setting wrong on my computer, but I can't find it.

Any help?! Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:41 AM

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2012 10:41 AM in response to iPuzzled1

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book.

Jul 15, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Ahh...the "On My Mac" group is what was messing me up.

The only other thing that I'm a little hazy about is the speed in syncing from Macbook to iPhone. Contacts addded to my Macbook don't show up on my iPhone until an iCloud backup takes place....its not instant like it is when a new contact is added to my iPhone. Is there any way to remedy this, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks for the help!

New contacts on iPhone don't show up on Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.