Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shuffle not recognized on iMac running Mac OS X 10.74

I have a fairly new iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.4 and a first gen Shuffle (works great) I have repeatledy tried to update the tunes on the shuffle and I cannot get the iMac to recognize the Shuffle. I have tried various other ports and same results.

I need some help - any idea? (besides buying new shuffle which ***** because this one works great)

Thanks.

iPod shuffle (2nd generation), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 9:43 AM

1 reply

Jul 15, 2012 11:28 AM in response to LTR1216

It's the white plastic one that looks like a USB flash drive? I have one of those, and have repaired a few by swappng parts of "broken" ones. They really have great sound... 🙂

It works on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.4 and the latest version of iTunes.

The weakest part of that shuffle is the USB connector. It tended to wear out over time as you insert and remove it from USB ports. When I was fixing them, that was the most common fault. That could be your problem, and there is no way to fix it, short of taking it apart and replacing the USB connector and the thin ribbon cable inside that connects it to the logic board.

But you can try a few things. When you connect it to the Mac with Disk Utility running, does it appear in the sidebar as a "disk"? You can also run the System Information utility, which you can run from the About This Mac window, and see if the shuffle appears under USB. If the shuffle is recognized by either of those applications, that's good, because that means the connection is working. But iTunes is not seeing it for some reason.

You can try using the iPod Reset Utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1238

This is only for the 1st and 2nd gen iPod shuffle. It does something like a Restore in iTunes, but at a lower level.

shuffle not recognized on iMac running Mac OS X 10.74

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.