Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's wrong with iPhoto?

Up until recently, when editing photos, the photo would black out when I try to edit.

I have a Mac OS X

Version 10.7.4

iphoto version 9.3 although continually updated.

I am working with JPEGs and RAW photos and sometimes I am experiencing "technical difficulties"

1. When I select a photo to edit, as soon as I click on an editing selection (QUICK FIX, EFFECTS, ADJUST, or even BOOST, SHADOW) the photo disappears. Now I can go back to the album and re-select the same photo that disappeared and it was edited. So what I am saying is that I cannot watch the process of my photos getting edited. This never has happened before.

PLEASE HELP!!

thank you for your time :-)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 4:37 PM

11 replies

Jul 16, 2012 9:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am going to try this solution as well. My iPhoto (9.3, running Lion OS 10.7.4 on Intel based iMac) gave me the following message (when i tried to download a photo from Facebook without having iPhoto already open):

"The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto. Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete."

At that time i opted to try to "Quit" doing that upgrade due to the fact I was not going to be available to monitor such an upgrade and that is when iPhoto froze, the iPhoto window is gray, white pinwheel spinning in the center, will not shut down, cannot obtain a Force Quit in any way, shape or form. The initial Upgrade window will not close is is always at the forefront of any open windows. Am very reluctant to shut down the computer as i have read in other discussions when this happens the iPhoto app will not open or if it does there are no photos in the person's library. I sure hope this option works. I do have external Time Machine back up of my iMac, hoping i may recover my photos from that source if this Alt key launch does not offer me that library access again. Ugh.

Thank you for your suggestions. Hope this works!

Jul 17, 2012 11:54 AM in response to JLdraw

Yay! i did have to shut down by unplugging the iMac, several hours, left it alone, restarted, opened iPhoto after checking for any updates, was given the "upgrade library" message, chose to do the upgrade, took about 10 minutes, iPhoto and library are a-ok!!! Got the intel from my nephew to go to the Apple icon to chose to Force Quit. . .had totally forgotten in my panic over the photos! Thanx so to all!!!

what's wrong with iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.