Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Video Bridging (AVB)

Hi all

I am sure many of you have not heard of AVB, However, I believe the new MACBook Pro, with Thunderbolt has AVB capable hardware, and AVB in software, but I am not sure if there is any documention about it!

Anyone from Apple support can help with this?

Thank you

Fouad

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 11:26 PM

6 replies

Jul 21, 2012 11:50 PM in response to Fouad_jh

While Apple hardware does support AVB, so far they have not made any annoucement about what they plan to do with it, or when.

AVB is an open standard, and is simply waiting for companies (like Apple) to build the software required to use it.

If you have a DSP, powered loudspeakers, mixing board that supports AVB though, then you can also run Dante on it (not as advanced in many ways, and it's a propriety format like CobraNet/MADI/EtherSound).

The Dante soundcard runs on Mac OSX and PC, and acts basically like AVB will (hopefully) in the future on computers, but it's not free. Lets you send and receive 64 channels of audio each way (64 inputs & 64 outputs) over Cat5e / Cat6 directly on your computer.

http://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=235

Dec 28, 2012 4:51 AM in response to Fouad_jh

Hi,

I am trying to test AVB in my macbook pro. It is a mid 2009 model with Intel Core 2 duo 2.53 MHz processor running Mac OS 10.8.2. When I give the

"sudo avbdeviced --list-interfaces" command I get

avbdeviced version 106.1.10

ifname enabled

------ -------

And the terminal returns to $ prompt.

When I type "sudo avbdeviced --enable-interface en0" the reply is

avbdeviced version 106.1.10

interface "en0" is not an AVB capable interface. Supported interfaces are:

and the terminal returns to $ prompt. Is the AVB stack depended upon the underlying ethernet hardware? Is there a way to enable avb on this machine? The information about Ethernet network and Ethernet card are pasted below.

Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4:

Configuration Method: DHCP

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:26:4a:03:a6:e2

Media Options:

Media Subtype: Auto Select

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 2

Ethernet Card:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x10de

Device ID: 0x0ab0

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10de

Subsystem ID: 0xcb79

Revision ID: 0x00b1

BSD name: en0

Kext name: nvenet.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/nvenet .kext

Version: 2.0.19

Dec 30, 2012 12:55 AM in response to sivakumarm

My understanding is the AVB is hardware dependent, and will require newer ethernet hardware. Not just the interfaces on the computer, but hubs and switches as well.

(what makes the protocol so promising is this silicon-level integration.)

On 2012 mac book pro 15" (non-retina) here's what I get:

$ avbdeviced --enable-interface en0

avbdeviced version 109.1.1

attempting to enable AV mode returned YES

Then the system posts a dialogue box "avbdeviced is trying to modify the system network configuration. Type your password to allow this." (cancel) (Modify Configuration)

upon entering password / clicking Modify Configuration I get:

attempting to enable AV mode returned YES

commit changes returned YES

apply changes returned YES

Enabled AVB on interface "en0"

and then:

$ avbdeviced --list-interfaces

ifname enabled

------ -------

en0 yes

And then:

$ avbdeviced --disable-interface en0

attempting to disable AV mode returned YES

commit changes returned YES

apply changes returned YES

Disabled AVB on interface "en0"

I've heard tales of AVB devices then showing up (if connected) in Audio Midi setup. Nothing connected, nothing showing up there on my system.

-jeremiah

Dec 30, 2012 2:45 AM in response to sivakumarm

I agree with jeremiahmoore

AVB stack is hardware dependant, more technical details:

AVB consists of few protocols:

802.1AS timing synchronization, which needs software and hardware (NIC) for better accuracy.

802.1QAV traffic shaping, which needs software and hardware (NIC) to make sure AVB packets leave the (NIC) in timely manner regardless of other traffic.

802.1QAT is stream reservation protocol to make sure that the AVB stream has enough bandwidth before establishing the stream (usually when you have switches between endpoints).

Fouad

Audio Video Bridging (AVB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.