Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music permissions and new user on Lion

Lately iTunes has been making me crazy. I had to create a new user account on my iMac due to problems with my original admin account. I tried to move my iTunes music library by changing where iTunes looks for the media in the original account and pointing it to the iTunes media folder in the new account. I had keep iTunes music folder organized, did not check off Copy Music and said yes to the "Do you want iTunes to move your media to match the new settings blah blah blah." It did indeed move most of the files to the new account. Prior to that change I tried to change the persmissions on the music folder so that both accounts had full access then chose Apply to Enclosed Items. In fact, what I really want is there to be no permissions restrictions on any of my files. Now as I add my music files to the new User's iTiunes library, it no longer organizes the music like it did before. I checked info on a random file and saw the permissions seemed crazy. There were like sixentries, duplicates and one that said Custom. I just want to no restrictions on this stuff. Permissions are such a pain. I am not at some company where only certain people can access certain stuff. I want full access to everything regardless of which user I am in. Please help me sort out this permissions stuff. I have read extensively about them but obviously still don't fully get it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:23 AM

3 replies

Jul 16, 2012 8:45 PM in response to mende1

I did that but now iTunes will not organize the files, presumably because they are set to the previous user. It will add them, but not organize, which seems like it would mean the new user is only set to read only while the other can read & write. I have tried changing permissions then choosing Apply to Enclosed Items but it does not always seem to change everything.

iTunes music permissions and new user on Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.