7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2012 3:30 PM by Neville Hillyer
MDW707 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Recently I changed my cable connection to a wifi connection to my router. Now, there seems to be a problem when my iMac wakes up from the sleep modus.

The wifi connection is very slow or not working at all. By switching on and off Airport several times I can force the wifi to work again.

My router seems to be OK  because i can connect with my iPhone without problems.

A software update doesn't fix the problem.

How can I resolve that problem?

MDW

iMac6,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Neville Hillyer Level 4 Level 4 (1,855 points)

In Network Preferences:

Set location to Automatic and Configure to DHCP

Turn off IPv6 in Advanced

Sometimes temporarily turning on Broadcast Name at the router can cure problems but this is usually if Macs cannot find the router at all.

Check that you are connecting to your router and not another one.

• MDW707 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi Neville,

I followed your instructions.

Nevertheless, the problem is still there.

Being in the networking settings, now I can see that when the iMac wakes up, Airport is looking for a connection, finds my router, and gives an IP-adress.

In de upper part of my window I can see the Wifi sign showing 4 black bars. After a while it shows only 2 bars, and it stays like that. Then the connection to the internet is very slow.

Switching on and off airport several times gives me the 4 black bars again, and then it stays like that. Then I have a good connection and I can go smooth on the internet.

Is there evidence that the 2 bars is your router and not another one?

Yes, I can read the name of my router in the network settings window.

In the meantime, using google  I found there are a lot of people with the same problem, ... but I can't find an article with a solution.

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (64,205 points)

Your router may need either a firmware update, or to be replaced.  Not all routers are compatible with Apple's Energy Saver.

I don't know for sure because my iMac makes connection with my router, ... it works fine for about 10 seconds, and then falls back to the connection with only 2 bars.

For me there is a software problem related with the sleep modus of my iMac.

As a test, I am going to use my computer for a few days, without putting the iMac in the sleep modus.

a brody wrote:

Your router may need either a firmware update, or to be replaced.  Not all routers are compatible with Apple's Energy Saver.

Can you explain this? What interaction is necessary upon waking from sleep?