Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi on iMac6,1

Recently I changed my cable connection to a wifi connection to my router. Now, there seems to be a problem when my iMac wakes up from the sleep modus.

The wifi connection is very slow or not working at all. By switching on and off Airport several times I can force the wifi to work again.

My router seems to be OK because i can connect with my iPhone without problems.

A software update doesn't fix the problem.

How can I resolve that problem?

MDW

iMac6,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 4:12 AM

In Network Preferences:

Set location to Automatic and Configure to DHCP

Turn off IPv6 in Advanced

Sometimes temporarily turning on Broadcast Name at the router can cure problems but this is usually if Macs cannot find the router at all.

Check that you are connecting to your router and not another one.

7 replies

Jul 16, 2012 5:17 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Hi Neville,

I followed your instructions.

Nevertheless, the problem is still there.

Being in the networking settings, now I can see that when the iMac wakes up, Airport is looking for a connection, finds my router, and gives an IP-adress.

In de upper part of my window I can see the Wifi sign showing 4 black bars. After a while it shows only 2 bars, and it stays like that. Then the connection to the internet is very slow.

Switching on and off airport several times gives me the 4 black bars again, and then it stays like that. Then I have a good connection and I can go smooth on the internet.

Jul 16, 2012 9:38 AM in response to a brody

I don't know for sure because my iMac makes connection with my router, ... it works fine for about 10 seconds, and then falls back to the connection with only 2 bars.

For me there is a software problem related with the sleep modus of my iMac.

As a test, I am going to use my computer for a few days, without putting the iMac in the sleep modus.

Wifi on iMac6,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.