Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Updating My Unlocked iPhone4 re-lock it?

It is unlocked by AT&T. I now use T-Mobile, baseband is 04.12.01 and version is 5.1

I'm nervous about updating it because I need it to remain unlocked. I didn't want to presume that because AT&T unlocked it, that it will remain unlocked through the update. Can anyone confirm that I can update?

(Side question: I am supposed to have tethering from T-Mobile, but I don't think this a compatible feature that I can access on my iPhone 4 with T-Mobile, right?)

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 7:40 AM

If it was legitimately unlocked by AT&T, then you can update without problems.

If you hacked it to unlock it prior to having AT&T unlock it, it will most likely become a brick when you update.

Tethering will not work with T-Mobile in the US. The Personal Hotspot feature will only work if you use a supported carrier that offers that feature on the iPhone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2012 7:40 AM in response to MalloryHasenbein

If it was legitimately unlocked by AT&T, then you can update without problems.

If you hacked it to unlock it prior to having AT&T unlock it, it will most likely become a brick when you update.

Tethering will not work with T-Mobile in the US. The Personal Hotspot feature will only work if you use a supported carrier that offers that feature on the iPhone.

Will Updating My Unlocked iPhone4 re-lock it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.