Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I HATE THE MAGIC MOUSE! Any suggestions for a solid alternative for graphics use?

I have the 27" Intel Based Mac and LOVE the machine...brilliant, beautiful, fast! I also LOVE the wireless keyboard...light, responsive, awesome! But I HATE the Magic Mouse...hate hate hate! I work with Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Mastersuite CS5) and the mouse control and scroll are all over the place. I need precision control. I need the mouse to stay where I want it to and scroll when I ask it and not scroll when I need to be zoomed in at 6400%.

Now, There HAS to be a good, solid user controlled wireless mouse that works well with the mac! Please HELP!!

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 6:55 AM

18 replies

Jul 16, 2012 7:02 AM in response to insomniac_arts

I feel your pain. The "Magic Mouse" has too much stuff going on. If you can't eliminate enough features through System Preferences to get the level of control you need most any BlueTooth mouse will work with the iMac. I would steer away from the ones that have a proprietary reciever. Amazon has lots to choose from.

Jul 16, 2012 7:44 AM in response to insomniac_arts

What is the problem with just using a good old fashioned WIRED mouse? When we spec computers for purchase for use by our graphic design, animation and digital photo student lab systems, we always go with a wired mouse.. Better control and more reliable operation are the reasons. The fact that they are less likely to "wander off" is another big plus for us.

We also go with wired, with numeric keypad, keyboards so we do not have to worry about batteries going down on either mouse or keyboard./ Yep, it is a step backward in technology but reliablity and ease of use trumps "bleeding edge" technology in this case.

If you want you can also have the Magic Mouse on the system but either shut off or stuck up in some corner of the desk where you won't hit it by accident. That way if you do decide you need the "touch pad" features, they are still available.

Message was edited by: Joe Pyrdek to add the paragraph about using both wireless and wired on the same system.

Jul 16, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Joe Pyrdek

I second the suggestion for a wired mouse. I use a Logitech USB mouse with scroll wheel that bought for $10 eight years ago. It's the best mouse I've ever used. It just works. Never does it do anything unexpected, unlike the Magic Mouse, that's always doing something unexpected even if I look at it the wrong way.

With the wire you also don't have to worry about dropped connections or batteries to charge/replace. I'll happily take a wire on my desk if it means I never have to deal with AA batteries again.

Jul 16, 2012 1:28 PM in response to Joe Pyrdek

Wireless infrared mice work and track pretty accurately, too!

I own and use an older Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse.

Works and tracks great and I use it for Photoshop and 3D/CG projects for years.

I agree, though that wired mice eliminate and potential for tracking issues or tracking accuracy.

The Magic Mouse is a piece of junk for any type of graphic, illustration or technical work require precision mouse tracking/accuracy.

Nov 8, 2015 11:58 AM in response to insomniac_arts

OMG I dislike immensely, to put it lightly, the apple magic mouse. What a production nightmare. I bought the new Imac 5k Retina with the core i7 Intel and 32 gigs of ram. I am excited with the exception of the piece of feces magic mouse. It has caused me to swear more in the past few weeks than I ever have. And you can not reduce it's functionality enough in the preferences to make it usable. So I am off to walmart to buy a cheap pos mouse that will be totally usable as opposed to the magic mouse which is NOT. Do not buy this mouse if you are a serious production artist. You will hate it. If you claim that you love this mouse, you are not a serious production artist in any discipline.

Nov 8, 2015 9:42 PM in response to Király

I am NOT a big fan of trackpads for design use.

Same sort of tracking issues. Usually not adequate accuracy for precision use.

Mice are still one of the best input devices for precision design work.

The trackpad's area isn't too conducive to large screen iMacs and other third party larger screen monitors, either.

I use a Wacom wired USB 9" x12" tablet with 3 different digital pens and Wacom's precision digitizer mouse.

I have used this type of setup for years and I have found it very ideal for ALL of the different graphic design work, digital drawing/painting work and precision technical drawing illustration work and CAD design/illustration work.

Jul 25, 2016 1:48 AM in response to ProTruckDriver

Make sure to purchase a mouse that is made for Macs and OS X.

Not all are.

You may have to resort to purchasing a Mac compatible mouse online.

Out of box, they will do some basic mouse functions, but if you need more mouse controls when using your Mac, you need to find one that says Mac/OS X compatible somewhere on the packaging.

Logitech is down to one completely recent and OS X compatible mouse.

Microsoft isn't making mice for Macs, any longer.

Look at Kensington mice for Macs.

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4487/mice#.V5XQ9Vj3ah8

Macally looks as if it's out of business in the U.S., but you msybe able to find their older Mac mice on amazon, as well.

OR

on Amazon.

Good Luck!

I HATE THE MAGIC MOUSE! Any suggestions for a solid alternative for graphics use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.