Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime movie made in QuickTime 7 audio not playing back in qt 10

I made a qt using qt 7 pro, H.264 with the AAC audio compressor and that qt will not play back audio in QuickTime 10 which is what my client has on his computer.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 10:22 AM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2012 6:23 AM in response to Wayde

Hi Jon,

I'm sorry, I'm not able to get back into my studio for another week. The point being here is that I rendered out a movie in QuickTime pro 7 and the audio isn't being resolved in QuickTime 10, even on my own computer. (8 core power mac tower about a year old) How is this possible and should I just remove qt10 altogether? I am a professional editor, have been working on Macs since 1992 (Avid and FCP7) and have never had a compatibility problem like this before within the Mac environment.

Jul 20, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Wayde

The point being here is that I rendered out a movie in QuickTime pro 7 and the audio isn't being resolved in QuickTime 10, even on my own computer.

Does the audio play correctly in the QT 7 Player? Have you determined if this is a playback or a conversion problem? I asked about the source file since some source compression formats will not convert the audio using QT 7 Pro. In a similar manner, some AAC data rate and sampling rate combinations are not supported on the Mac which is why QT is programmed to disallow their use. (Unfortunately, I do not know what would happen if a source file using such audio settings were to be used as a source for a QT 7 Pro conversion.)

How is this possible and should I just remove qt10 altogether?

As already indicated, there are a number of "normal" problems that could give these results. In addition, QT changes made as part of the most recent Lion OS update seem to have had adverse effects on QT 7 Pro features (as evidenced by the loss of the "loop" playback feature and "green screen" problems on some platforms). As to the removal of QT 10, the embedded structures cannot be removed without corrupting the operating system. And, while the QT X player can be removed/deleted, why bother since you can just as easily opt not to use it for manual playback and restoring it, should you later change your mind, may present a problem.

I am a professional editor, have been working on Macs since 1992 (Avid and FCP7) and have never had a compatibility problem like this before within the Mac environment.

Have you made any recent changes to your normal work flow that might account for this problem and is the problem consistently repeatable?

User uploaded file

QuickTime movie made in QuickTime 7 audio not playing back in qt 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.