3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 1:53 AM by clintonfrombirmingham
Cibby Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

I have an early 2011 i7 MBP 15". I notice that from time to time the fans are running but for no apparent reason. I haven't run any programs or done anything. When I check activity monitor the CPU is being used at less than 10%. Time Machine isn't on. I don't understand what is causing the issue. Any advice?

• dominic23 Level 7 Level 7 (29,905 points)

Fan

The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Reset SMC.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

• Cibby Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

Dominic

Sorry for the long delay. I tried resetting the SMC, but still have the issue. I have smcFanControl installed. Right now my temp is about 80 degrees C and fans are at 3500 RPM. CPU usage is below 20%. Why is this thing running so hot? It's well venitlated.

If I launch Nike.com in a new tab in Chrome, which I know is a heavy flash site, and scroll up and down, temps will run up to 90 and the fans go nuts. That seems crazy for just adding another tab.

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7 (29,975 points)

Neither your temperatures nor your fans speeds are normal. If resetting the SMC didn't help, I think that it's time for a visit to the Apple Store. Just curious, though: does the heat/fan issue only come up when using Chrome? Have you tried shutting down Chrome and using Firefox or Safari?

Clinton