Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine not backing up home directory

After installing a SSD to my Mac Pro, I have changed the Home directory location to another (regular) drive under System Preferences/Users & Groups/"Right click"/Advanced Options. (http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-to-speed-up-your-mac-with-a-ssd-drive.htm l)

I have now found out, that Time Machine is not backing up my home directory, although the whole HDD on which the Home folder is located, is set up to be included in the backup.

After further investigating, I saw, that the Time Machine still thinks the Home Directory is still on the system drive (SSD) and is backing up an empty folder. I tried turning off Time Maching, deleting the TM preferences file, setting up a new backup, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 8-Core/515 GB SSD/16 GB RAM

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 10:49 AM

13 replies

Jul 17, 2012 2:47 PM in response to AvDe

AvDe wrote:

. . .

I have now found out, that Time Machine is not backing up my home directory, although the whole HDD on which the Home folder is located, is set up to be included in the backup.

Are you sure? When you select the HDD, then Enter Time Machine, do you see it? Is anything from the HDD being backed-up?

After further investigating, I saw, that the Time Machine still thinks the Home Directory is still on the system drive (SSD) and is backing up an empty folder.

Unless it's specificallly excluded, Time Machine will back up anything on the SSD, including an empty folder.

Jul 17, 2012 11:09 PM in response to Pondini

Yes the whole second HDD on which the home directory is stored is backing up, except the home directory. Also the whole SSD is backed up.

To clear things up, I do not have an exception set under Time Machine settings.

When I enter Time Machine in my home directory, it throws me out of it and shows all my disks. If I then go one day back and browse back the disk to the home directory, I see that it is not included in the backup, it is just missing.

Jul 18, 2012 8:12 AM in response to Pondini

It won't hurt at all to add a new entry to an existing array, though whether or not these entries specifically would affect the behavior in question is unknown. I'd recommend he give it a try, and if it does not show any difference then he can revert the changes (copying the file beforehand to use as a backup to restore from would be beneficial).

Jul 18, 2012 9:54 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher Kessler wrote:

It won't hurt at all to add a new entry to an existing array,

If done properly, probably not. But not knowing how experienced the user is, or how that modification will be done, it's possible to damage the file.

whether or not these entries specifically would affect the behavior in question is unknown.

No, it won't matter.

Jul 18, 2012 12:20 PM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

One other question: what is the name of the folder, at the top level of the HDD, containing the user folder?

I had the user folder directly sotred on the root of the second HDD. I have now moved it to a folder called "Users" and reset the User and Groups setting. Will try now, if this helped.

Jul 18, 2012 12:29 PM in response to AvDe

That probably wasn't necessary; I just wanted to check, as there are a few hidden, system folders Time Machine specifically ignores.

They're named home, dev, and net, so if you put a top-level folder on an external HD with that name, Time Machine will exclude it.

What I'm afraid of is, a few folks have had some sort of damage to their home folders, or sub-folders within it, that either prevented it from being backed-up, or caused it to be backed-up in full every time. There doesn't seem to be any way to determine that, except by process of elimination.

That's why I'm asking you to test with a different user's home folder, etc., to try to pin it down.

Jul 18, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

They're named home, dev, and net, so if you put a top-level folder on an external HD with that name, Time Machine will exclude it.

That was apperantly the reason for not backing up. My short username is home, and I put the home directory in a top-level folder. Thank you Pondini for your help!

Time machine not backing up home directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.