Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is iphone costly in India

Hello,

Why is Iphone costly in India; at http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s we can find an Iphone 4s with 16 gb internal memory for $199 which if $1 = 54 Rs amounts to approx ~ 11,000 while if I check the same Iphone on Apple India site it amounts to around 44,000 INR.

Why is there so much difference in price?

Thanks

Ankit

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:20 PM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2012 11:19 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks a lot for the information, it's quite helpful.

But here in India, we also kind of have to sign a bond with Telecom Vendors like Airtel or Aircel. I think everybody here in India would be happy to sign a bond with US carriers provided we get same benefits and usual call rates.

Please don't get me wrong, but if we give any exam like RHCE, CCNA, OCJP we have to pay the same price as the US people are paying.

Jul 24, 2012 12:02 PM in response to ankiit

That's because the US carriers subsidize the phones. Apple can't force any of them to do so. Apple can't "regulate" anything. They are not a government.

All iPhones sold in India are unlocked. If the carriers were to subsidise the cost, they would have to be locked to the carriers. It appears that locked phones may be illegal in India, therefore, it's never going to happen. Why should they pay most of the cost of something that you can just walk away with and not pay your bill? That would just be asinine.

why is iphone costly in India

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.