Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Picasa and corrupt albumdata.xml file

For several days, I have been trying to install Picasa on my Mac. I used to use Picasa on my PC but switched to iPhoto when I got a Mac and have been using iPhoto for the last several months. I would like to add Picasa so I can access some of the sharing features that aren't available on iPhoto. However, every time I try to load Picasa, it launches and then says I have a corrupted albumdata.xml file. I have no problem when I use iPhoto -- there appears to be no corruption. I have tried to repair/rebuild the database in iPhoto several times and have followed directions from some Picasa discussion forums about using Text Wrangler to find &s and other characters that might be causing the problem. Even when I have deleted the photos that appear to have the problems, Picasa still tells me that the file is corrupted. I have called Apple about this, but they have been no help since iPhoto is working fine and it is not their product that is giving the error message. I would love to use Picasa, but there's something that's not working right.

I know others have had the exact same problem and seem equally frustrated. According to Picasa, it is supposed to "play well" with iPhoto, but what happens when it doesn't?

I appreciate any help you can lend. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:35 PM

9 replies

Jul 16, 2012 1:54 PM in response to LarryHN

LN,

When I used it on my PC, Picasa was great for sharing photos and albums, two things iPhoto does not do as well.

Also, Picasa seems to be easier for me to maneuver around, but perhaps that's because I used it for so many years and haven't totally figured out how to do the same in iPhoto.

It's strange that these two won't work well together -- according to the Picas web site, they should be compatible.

It seems there should a be solution to my problem.

Thanks.

-Rich

Jul 16, 2012 2:13 PM in response to rich47

Exactly what do you mean by iPhoto does not share photos and albums as well. IPhoto is very strong at that. What exactly are not able to do?

As to ease of maneuvering around. Very personal. Maybe if you gave some examples of what is easier with Picasa there is help. Maybe it is just your personal choice

And it is not at all strange that they do not work well together. IPhoto is a SQL database and Picasa has no idea how to access it's data which us why you have to export photos from iPhoto for Picasa to effectively use them. They simply can not share the same photos

As to Picasa saying they do, they are wrong. You need to address that with them

Note that the reason you posted here is because it is not working. And it does not work well

LN

Jul 16, 2012 2:30 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanksfor your replies. I appreicate your insights.

One thing I haven't figured out how to do with iPhoto is to share photos and albums with groups of people. In Picasa, I can easily post these on Google+ and grant people permission to view them. Is there an easy way to do the same on iPhoto?

Thanks.

-Rich

Jul 16, 2012 2:36 PM in response to rich47

Well - and it's just a thought - you could easily post them on Google+, or Flickr, or SmugMug or any other photosharing site on the entire Internet.

On Google+ click on the Photos icon on the sidebar and then Add Photos - the bit in Red. That give you the uopload page and you can 'Select Photos to Upload from Your computer'

Thereafter... the first one of these

You can use any Open / Attach / Browse dialogue. On the left there's a Media heading, your pics can be accessed there. Command-Click for selecting multiple pics.

User uploaded file

(Note the above illustration is not a Finder Window. It's the dialogue you get when you go File -> Open)

You can access the Library from the New Message Window in Mail:

User uploaded file

There's a similar option in Outlook and many, many other apps. If you use Apple's Mail, Entourage, AOL or Eudora you can email from within iPhoto.

If you use a Cocoa-based Browser such as Safari, you can drag the pics from the iPhoto Window to the Attach window in the browser.

If you want to access the files with iPhoto not running:

For users of 10.6 and later: You can download a free Services component from MacOSXAutomation which will give you access to the iPhoto Library from your Services Menu.

Using the Services Preference Pane you can even create a keyboard shortcut for it.

For Users of 10.4 and 10.5 Create a Media Browser using Automator (takes about 10 seconds) or use this free utility Karelia iMedia Browser

Other options include:

Drag and Drop: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

File -> Export: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size. Again, producing a copy.

Show File: a. On iPhoto 09 and earlier: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected. 3.b.

b: On iPhoto 11 and later: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Reveal in Finder -> Original. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

Regards

TD

Aug 29, 2013 7:18 PM in response to rich47

Just in case others run across this problem, some months later, I'll post this ...

This link did the trick for me ...

I used BBEdit to Zap Gramlins in albumdata.xml file (A copy of it) .... then found the found files, fixed WITHIN IPHOTO, then Picasa worked fine after that. 18,000 pics... had about 6-8 really weird file names ... fixed within iphoto.

For those you want to keep and have bad names ..... in iPhoto, under file menu, show pic file in finder, then copy to alternate location since you cant load into iphoto from the iphoto file location, delete from iphoto, then change file name issue, then reload into iphoto )

see : for details

http://geert.vanderkelen.org/fixing-iphotos-albumdata-xml-for-importing-into-goo gles-picasa/

Good luck

Cheers

sd

Aug 29, 2013 7:49 PM in response to SHDinSB

It is a really, really, REALLY bad idea to hack the iPhoto librarie files - they do not contain user servicable parts and youare very likely to corrupt your iPhoto library making it unusable for iPhoto

And your posted article is 4 years old making it very out of date - iPhoto ahs undergone many updates since then and the structure of the library has totaly changes a few times

had about 6-8 really weird file names ... fixed within iphoto.

Interesting wince it is not posssible to make any change to a file name within iPhoto

I would strongly recommend that no one use that advice - and if you do be sure you have great backups

Again you best choice is to choose one horse and ride it - trying to ride two horses at the same time is not smart

LN

Aug 30, 2013 6:28 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry

You misunderstand my reply and likely didn't check the link. It is FINE to use this method ....

To clarify :

1. The Zap Gremlins is done to find the troublesome files in a copy of the .xml file

2. Fixing with iPhoto means deleting from within iPhoto after a copy of the orig. image is made, then changing that file names (where the trouble is), then reloading into iPhoto.

In other words, there is no hacking as you say ....

The first horse needs to be read fully to understand a stable is fine in this case :)

This worked like a charm for me.

Cheers

sd

Picasa and corrupt albumdata.xml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.