Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create Triangle Magic with lion 10.7.4

Hi

hello

I need integrated a mac os x lion server 10.7.4 in infrastructure with AD 2008, i thinks tthe best solution for the moment is the magic triangle because now 5000 users Pc and for mac after integrated lion server 100 users Mac.

Tell me what is the best solution to create magic triangle, without impacted the AD, step by step ?

What is the Risk ?

The last version of Lion Server 10.7.4 is it good ?

Thanks your for your help

Malik

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.4), lion server

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:53 PM

3 replies

Jul 16, 2012 4:09 PM in response to Malik-O

I ask you this question... how much are you really going to manage the Macs after deployment? I challenge that you can bake most of your settings into your image for a consistent initial experience. After that the users can do what they like. Then AD takes care of most of the rest (password policy, group membership, etc).

Plus, Apple is depreciating MCX which means you are going to need to embrace profiles anyway. And if this is the case, look at JAMF for continued management of the Macs. You will get a much more powerful solution that will grow with you, not on your nerves.

As to your question, "What is the risk?" The only risk doing it is wondering why you did not do it sooner. All Macs in AD domain should be bound to the domain. This is just logic. By binding the system it essentially becomes like a windows client and gives you a nice shutoff switch in the sky when dealing with HR issues.

Also, I will do a shameless plug and suggest that you reach out to the Apple Consultants Network for assistance.

Jul 17, 2012 4:20 AM in response to Malik-O

If you are looking at 100 - 200 you are a candidate for JAMF. Look here for folks that are certified partners. http://www.jamfsoftware.com/partners/directory We are an integrator/reseller. Do your research and ask for references.

As for the ACN, use Apple's consultant finder http://consultants.apple.com to find someone local or ask around for recommendations. You can also go the route of Apple Professional Services if your project is large enough. (We are both ACN and Pro Services certified) This will bundle image creation, JAMF deployment, training, etc.

That is a call to Apple or a discussion with your Apple Rep.

Again, ask for references. You should not have to. If you find a good ACN they will offer them as pride in what they do and as an expression of competence.

Your project is one we've done a 100 times over. By the way, Apple also has a program called the MAP (Mac accelerate program) that will allow you to get Apple content area resources (manpower) to augment the local partner in a limited proof of concept.

How to create Triangle Magic with lion 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.