Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will viruses migrate

Hello. I just received my MacBook, and I am currently running the migration from hp laptop to the new MacBook pro. My laptop may be infected with multiple viruses or Trojans. Is there a risk of transferring these? If so, what can I do to prevent it at this point? It has been running for 2 hours already.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 1:53 PM

6 replies

Jul 16, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Kmgregory26

My laptop may be infected with multiple viruses or Trojans.

That's highly unlikely. One trojan, that's always possible, but I haven't heard of any cases of multiple trojans on one Mac in this century. What makes you believe this? If you're having problems, tell us what the symptoms are so we can be of better assistance.

For more about the malware, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Jul 16, 2012 6:55 PM in response to Kmgregory26

If I understand you correctly, you're saying your PC has multiple Trojans and you want to know if they can be transferred via Migration Assistant?

I don't imagine that would be remotely possible. The trojans on your PC must be written to work in Windows.

All Trojans that have come about on OS X must be installed by the user.

I suppose if you migrated the Trojan installer onto your Mac, and it had a Mac version in the installer, and you ran the installer, you could infect your Mac, but you'd really have to work pretty hard to do that.

Will viruses migrate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.