Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proximity Sensor Gone Wild; How to Check?

On the iPhone 4S, the proximity sensor is constantly on by default to support Siri. Turning off Raise to Speak is supposed to turn off the proximity sensor, and usually it does. But for some reason, sometimes the proximity sensor will come back on even when Raise to Speak is still off.

This is a problem because the proximity sensor being on means the difference between a 4-hour and 8-hour battery life for me. I can fix it temporarily by turn off Siri, then doing a hard reset. It always comes back on again eventually though.

On my iMac8,1, I can see if the proximity sensor is on with the iSight camera, which conveniently captures the IR signal from the sensor, so I can figure out if the sensor is causing problems and do the hard reset. On newer FaceTime HD cameras, this is no longer visible, which means I now have a problem and I don't know when it's actually manifesting itself. Is the proximity sensor a known issue? What can I use to detect if it's on? Better yet, is there a fix for the problem?

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, Black, 16GB, Sprint

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 4:16 PM

There are no replies.

Proximity Sensor Gone Wild; How to Check?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.