Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Finder to act like Explorer

Hi there,

I converted to Mac about 3 years ago and I have had this "thing" that frustrates me no end and I have done nothing about it.

How can I get Finder to show me the Folder (Collapsed / Closed) and sorted by Folder / FileName alphabetically i.e. like Windows Explorer.

I am constantly working in different folders and it is frustrating that we I go to File Open in a application that I have to work out where I am, then drill up and then back down in to the folder I want to be in.

I know this is probably a basic OS operational question and there are probably shortcuts keys to go back to your home folder etc.

Please help me with my sanity! and no I don't want to go back to Windows :-)

Thanks

Tony

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 6:31 PM

Finder>View>Arrange By>Name = Folder sorted alphabetically.

Also

Finder>View>as Icons/as List/as Columns/as Coverflow can aid finding what you want when using File Open.

Cheers

Tim

5 replies

Jul 16, 2012 6:44 PM in response to Tony4x4

Open two windows.

Use List view or Column view

For sorting / arranging, there are two options on the same menu/button.

- The first option is arrangement, which groups items.

- The second is sorting, which is accessed by holding down the option key.

- With arrangement set to none, you can sort by clicking on the column headers in List view.

Show the sidebar.

- put default starting points there, like Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc.

- you can start from those to get most anywhere quickly

Know the Path? Type cmd-shift-g and type the path (~/) starts in your home folder.

Turn on spring loaded folders in Finder Preferences. When you drag something onto a folder in the finder, it will spring open and you can dig down that way.

Command-double-click on a folder will open it in a new window.

The Finder Go menu commands work in the Open File dialogs.

Dragging an image from iPhoto or a music file from iTunes onto the open file dialog will take you to the file location in the Finder (useful for attaching images to emails, etc.).

I understand how you feel. I can't figure out Explorer.

How do I get Finder to act like Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.