Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple announces iCloud.com domain

I am speechless. Do I smell another domain name nightmare vis-a-vis our Apple IDs? If I had known that Apple had plans for yet another domain associated with their cloud services I would have waited. I bypassed MobileMe and thought I was in safe waters with iCloud so got an @me.com and it is the only email address I use for everything. And now this?

Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/apple-rolling-out-icloud-com-email-addresses -with-ios-6-beta-3/

(Hope the link works. If not, go to www.macrumors.com)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:43 PM

16 replies

Jul 17, 2012 5:20 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Be that as it may, Apple should explicitly declare, and soon, that @me.com users will continue to be supported FOR ALL TIME and that there will be NO @me.com to @iCloud.com MIGRATION business of any sort.

Just last year I gave up (or thought I had) on Hotmail. That's when I signed up for iCloud and got my new @me.com, which I have propagated vertically and horizontally everywhere throughout my existence. So I hope not to be forced to yet again have to reestablish a new email address, as it is a deeply tedious and frustrating exercise.

About the "thought I had" above, thus far Apple is disallowing me (and I am sure many others) to assign my primary @me.com email address as my Apple ID so that I no longer will have to SEE or be bothered with my @hotmail.com Apple ID text string. As I have repeatedly stated, I demand to have my IDs merged once and for all so as to banish Hotmail altogether from my existence. By the by, my Hotmail account is inactive and no longer in use. Would that Apple allowed me to forget about it! The question remains, when will this annoying issue get resolved by Apple? Let's hope that with the issuance of the new iCloud.com domain Apple has also considered that many of us DEMAND our Apple IDs to be @me.com or @iCloud.com. Why on earth are we prevented?

Jul 17, 2012 5:37 AM in response to ohneSchatten

I welcome the provision of "@icloud" as an addtional option.

I can appreciate fully why anyone educated - which description would not appear to include whoever at Apple thought up and sanctioned the terrible names “MobileMe” and “me.com” - would wish to change their personal Apple ID and email address from “me.com” to “icloud.com” if they don’t have access to the earlier name “mac.com”. Most certainly, I would.

Much as I miss the now discontinued services of “MobileMe” it’s a great relief to see its dreadful name consigned to history. “Me.com”, however – a public declaration of profound fundamental illiteracy – unfortunately lives on.

I shudder every time I see or hear the word “me.com”. It grates. It’s as illiterate as saying or writing “It is me”, instead of “It is I”.

I never have. and never shall. use my “@me.com” email addresses. If Apple hadn’t permitted me to retain my “@mac.com” ones, I would have switched my email to another provider or domain. I have no intention of proclaiming to the world that I’m illiterate every time I send an email.

By contrast, “mac.com” is neat, grammatical and cosy. I’ve always liked it and I enjoy using it.

I suppose Apple wasn’t able to register “i.com” (nor, for that matter, “a.com”) but “me.com” was an appallingly crass and illiterate substitute for it.

It would be nice to think that somebody at Apple who has actually had an education is equally disgusted by it and realises that “icloud.com” and “@icloud.com” are far more appropriate, grammatical and acceptable.

That said, I’ve never understood why Apple is so obsessed with prefixing all its products and services with an “i” at all. What purpose does it serve? None. We all use the Internet all the time. The “i” prefix adds nothing. And a basic iPod is not Internet capable, anyway. At least an “a” prefix would have some sort of logic and corporate brand name association.

Jul 17, 2012 6:03 AM in response to ohneSchatten

I demand to have my IDs merged once and for all

I demand you stop making demands on this user-to-user forum. Make your demands in the correct place:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Nobody here knows when or if Apple has any plans to allow merging of AppleIDs. If it were such a simple task no doubt they would've done already.

Also, no company can make promises that last "FOR ALL TIME". You're being ridiculous. Apple may not exist in 10 years time - no-one knows what "for all time" may encompass. Take your childish foot-stamping elsewhere.

Jul 17, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Julian Wright

Julian, with all that hot air off your chest, feel free to cool down your jets. In case you don't get it, what some of us desire while getting increasingly and very often happily embedded in the ever-evolving Apple ecosystem (and no, no one is forcing us) is something known as STABILITY. Not stability about services and features which by nature have to evolve and change but, rather, EMAIL-specific domain-name stability. That's what this is all about. Remember the @mac.com vs @me.com mess? And now we have yet another email domain to (potentially) contend with. This is the source of my/our frustation.

Jul 17, 2012 7:17 AM in response to ohneSchatten

Remember the @mac.com vs @me.com mess?

There was no mess. Anyone who already had an @mac.com address automatically got the same @me.com address - it was optional whether you used it or not. New users only got an @me.com. All mail to both addresses goes to same mailbox.

Exactly the same thing has been written this time. Anyone who already has an @me.com automatically gets the same @icloud.com address - it is optional whether you use it or not. New users will only get an @icloud.com address.

Very simple to understand.

Having a "desire" for something, is very different to making "demands".

Jul 17, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Julian Wright

Julian Wright wrote:

Exactly the same thing has been written this time. Anyone who already has an @me.com automatically gets the same @icloud.com address - it is optional whether you use it or not. New users will only get an @icloud.com address.

Though this is a reasonable deduction, unless Julian's seen some official announcement I haven't come across this isn't an absolute, and we don't actually know what will happen - it might be that the @icloud.com was only introduced to allow beta testing.

In any case all the panic about it is completely spurious. Can anyone really imagine Apple dropping the @me.com address? Think of the reactions.

Jul 17, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Julian Wright

Most of the people who do have “mac.com” addresses obtained them by means of a Mac which they did own and in all probability they still have a Mac. Maybe even the same one. “Mac.com” was going long before Apple decided to start selling plastic mobile ‘phones.

And many of us, while still having a happy “association with the ‘Mac’ brand” (as you put it) and Apple computers, have no desire whatsoever to be associated, instead, with either illiteracy or Apple’s under-featured other devices. (Nor even, to be blunt, with Apple’s now under-featured synching service.)

For us, “mac.com” is a relevant and conveniently defining domain name that reflects the only part of Apple’s operation that is of any actual interest to us.

As I stated before, if the only domain name Apple could offer me for my email was the ungrammatical and distasteful “me.com”, I’d use another company’s email services instead.

(Indeed, I also have, and use, email accounts with such inoffensive domain names as “gmail.com” and “gmx.com”.)

But I would not wish to deny anyone the right to present themself to the world, by their choice of the email domain name “me.com”, as an egocentric illiterate if that is what personally they wish to do (or fail to grasp).

To each, his, or her, own. “Mac.com” suits me fine: I like it and I’m grateful to Apple for keeping it available to me. And, of course, buried deep down, it keeps me happily disposed towards buying another Mac. Apple isn’t daft.

Jul 17, 2012 12:08 PM in response to Racer-UK

I know where and how people got their @mac.com addresses. I was one of those who signed up to iTools on 5th January 2000 and snagged the nice short @mac.com address I still use proudly on a daily basis.

Your opinions on Apple's devices and syncing services being "under featured" are irrelevant. They are your opinions and have nothing to do with the topic of this thread. For many millions of people they do what they require.

Also, since MobileMe is now dead, and you have always been able to use your @mac.com address, your dislike for them is a waste of energy. Just because you find them "ungrammatical and distasteful" doesn't mean everyone does, nor does it mean they want to present themselves as an "egocentric illiterate". That's just you being condescending and pompous.

Oh yeah, and why Apple puts "i" in front of their products? It's called brand recognition - something Apple is very good at, and dozens of their competitors pay millions failing to be as successful at. A lowercase "i" at the start is synonymous with Apple. How many other companies have become so associated with a single letter that they don't even need to mention the company name?

"iPhone", "iPad", "iPod", "iMac" etc are all household names. Can you say the same of the "HTC LS670 Optimus S", "Motorola Droid X2", "Samsung Galaxy Y Pro", "Sony VIAO E Series SVE1711X1E"???

Jul 17, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Julian Wright

Well, I’ve yet to see anyone in this forum more “condescending and pompous” than you are. 😀

It’s even why I gave your twisted knickers a further tweak - knowing that you wouldn’t perceive it yourself. 👿

Really, Julian! I can think of many things from which to derive pride – but to derive it from using an “@mac.com” email address on a daily basis…?

And then you totally lost it when you launched into your next two paragraphs. 😁

For all of that, there’s a serious point to be made, here. Both the words “MobileMe” and “me.com” are illiterate. That’s not an opinion, it’s a hard fact of grammar - even if your own education doesn’t run to understanding it. And Alley_Cat, furthermore, was sophisticated enough to share my recognition of the fact that the name ”me.com” is also crudely egocentric.

Certainly, I, like she (or “like her” as you’d probably put it, yourself) would baulk at ever using such a vulgar domain name for my own email address. That’s most definitely true enough.

Forgive my taunts, though, about Apple’s under-provision of features in its non-Mac products. I’ll confess to winding you up shamelessly with that. Nevertheless - and no matter how many millions of people may buy them – there’s truth in that comment, too: a ‘phone (smart or otherwise) with a sealed-in battery, no expansion card slot and no physical, QWERTY keypad falls short immediately of what I want, what I need and what I look for in a mobile. It doesn't cut the mustard, for me.

Then, there's the iPad. If you like it as it is, great. I don't. Fine in principle: give it a 15" or 17" screen and it would start to have some appeal for me. But at 9.7", there's too much you can't do with it.

As for iCloud.com itself, you only have to read this very forum to see how many people are how angry about its severe shortcomings after migrating, like I (or “like me” as you’d probably put it, yourself) to it from the well-featured MobileMe, to which we hung on (wisely, it is now apparent) for as long as Apple permitted us to .

Currently, iCloud $u¢ks. It doesn’t work properly, its feature set falls far short of what it replaced (which did work) and it can’t share files, even iWork files, between Macs. How on Earth can you regard that as adequate?

Frankly, I’m amazed that you lot have been putting up with such extreme inadequacy from iCloud for so many months while the rest of us continued to enjoy MobileMe synching and our iDiscs.

And, before you start getting excited again, all of that is entirely topical to this thread. It’s about the desirability or otherwise (even the stigma) of having an email address that ends in “me.com” or “icloud.com”.

Since you did then digress into a patronising treatise upon the merits of using the “i” prefix for Apple’s products and services, I’ll treat you to this. (And I can assure you that it’s true).

I need no lessons in brand recognition and awareness.

Fifty years ago, my (now) late father quietly registered, in every country of the civilised world – and even in some that weren’t, then, but are, now – a certain single letter of the alphabet, in upper case, as a trade name for the major public company he chaired and which our family controlled. (He also secured for it that same single letter plus the number 1, and the number 1 plus that same single letter, as two vehicle registration numbers for the company.)

Some of his directors thought it was a pointless and extravagantly wasteful thing to do. As he told me at the time, that was why he was the chairman and they were only directors. His investment in those three assets duly proved as far-sighted and prodigiously lucrative as many of Steve Jobs’ visionary moves.

So yes, since you ask, I can certainly think of one company so associated with a single letter of the alphabet that it doesn’t even need to mention its name: its logo of that single letter is all it needs - on its corporate flag, on its letterhead, on its buildings and on its vehicles. I’ll leave you to work out which of the 26 possible alternatives that letter is. I’ll even be generous, and tell you that it wasn’t Morrison’s “M”. Which leaves you with 25.

I’ve lived extremely well from the proceeds of his foresight for over half a century and it has paid for all my Macs, as well.

What I still don’t understand is why Apple chose the lowercase letter “i” to make synonymous with a company whose name begins with an uppercase “A” and which doesn’t contain the letter “i” at all. (After all, my father had kindly left Steve Jobs the letter “A” to register worldwide. 🙂 Which fact now leaves you with only 24 remaining letters to ponder.)

Unless Tim Cook has plans to change the company name to Ipple, they can’t even use the “i” as a corporate logo.

I think my father would have been wise enough to register the lowercase accented letter “á” worldwide for Apple. (Be it Beatle Apple or Woz Apple). Consider how well that would have served, with a little graphic manipulation (towards an  ), both as a corporate logo and as a product prefix - the “áMac”, the “áPod”, the “áPhone” the “áPad”. Steve J was a genius alright but he certainly missed out on that one.

So, again I ask, why an “i”, instead? Did Steve J have a Ballmer Moment?

Jul 18, 2012 12:34 AM in response to Racer-UK

Clearly I'm attempting to have a discussion with someone who thinks that only their opinion is the right one, and that anyone who thinks differently must be "uneducated" and "illiterate", so there's no point continuing with that. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but so are other people entitled to their differing opinions.

I, like many people, found iDisk too slow, unreliable and lacking many of the features it's competitors were offering, so stopped using it long ago. I also require more professional features from my web hosting (such as PHP & MySQL) so never seriously used MobileMe Hosting, and iWeb is far too basic for my needs. In my experience, iCloud is as good as, if not better, than MobileMe at syncing contacts, calendars, mail and bookmarks between my Macs and iOS devices. At $99 a year less, it is better value too. While you have had an inadequate experience of iCloud, I haven't, and I've been using it since before it came out publicly. So, even though for you, it "doesn't work properly" - you are not everybody, and for many (perhaps most of the 120m+ people who use it?) it works as intended. Incidentally, sharing of iWork files between Macs is coming this month with Mountain Lion. iCloud is still developing and is not yet feature complete.

My "digression" was a direct response to your earlier question, so blame yourself for that. The letter "i" was chosen originally for the iMac and was said to stand for "internet", as in 1998 when it launched a big focus of its marketing was the ease of connecting to the Internet. The iMac was a very successful product, and the "i" prefix was used in "iTools" (again denoting Internet). Steve Jobs used it (jokingly) on his job title as "iCEO" meaning "interim" and by then it was already synonymous with Apple. From then on it was used in many Apple products and its meaning became generic, not just "internet". It was never based on their company name, and no marketing rules state that a company must only use the first letter of their company name in product names.

Apple announces iCloud.com domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.