Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro has no sound!!!

My MacBook Pro has no sound through its built-in sound system. Is there a way to fix this? I tried resetting the PRAM, but it only works sometimes.

System Preferences won't let me change the 'mute' tick-box

Any help would be appreciated.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:48 AM

1. System Preference > Sound > Output

Internal Speakers selected?

2. Try Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

3. If there is red light visible in the headphone port plug the head phone into and out of the port

couple of times to flip the microswitch inside. Sound may be stuck in digital mode.

4. Reinstalling iTunes may help sometimes.

Best.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2012 3:48 AM in response to macintosh290

1. System Preference > Sound > Output

Internal Speakers selected?

2. Try Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

3. If there is red light visible in the headphone port plug the head phone into and out of the port

couple of times to flip the microswitch inside. Sound may be stuck in digital mode.

4. Reinstalling iTunes may help sometimes.

Best.

May 16, 2013 4:15 PM in response to macintosh290

Hi, I have the same problem. My volume control looks the same as in your first post. however when I go to sound preferances there are no options for selected output device nor output or input devices found. The sound won't work with headphones in and there is no start up noise. I have had my mac for just over 2 years now and this is the first problem I have had. One minute it was fine and now this. I can't afford to take it to the shop to be fixed. I am running OS X 10.6.8. I was reading on the apple website that you cannot reset the PRAM with this version as the default sound settings are not stored in the first place. Any ideas of how I might fix this?

MacBook Pro has no sound!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.