Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Apple ID?

The dirty secret is tha the Apple ID for iTunes is not the same as the regular Apple ID

So when I changed my email address. The old address still shows up when I log in

That might be ok if I had not lost the password for that old email address

But then if I ask for password help, the notice getscsentbto the old (now closed)

Email account.. A Carch 22 situation

Someone here gave anekehantbsoution - using Lion, and the Cloud- which I don't use for various incompatibility

Reasons.

I have tried all kinds of actions clearing out cookies history caches, key chains etc. all to mo avail.

I have 15 Apps that need updates.

I suspect thatt if I try a new account all those will disappear

I had a long dialog with a live Apple rep but eventually he was at a loss

UGH

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 5:10 AM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Don Hutchinson1

If you change your contact address in your Apple ID settings then new e-mail should be sent to that address. I cannot see Apple setting it up any other way because people change their email addresses all the time. Yes, the old address remains the login identity but the contact address is the one used to send you information. The Apple ID name you can change pretty much however you like but it isn't what you use for logging in.

I also set this kind of thing up with e-mail addresses with longevity. My main e-mail address has remained unchanged for the last 22 years, and in theory will reamin unchanged for the rest of my life unless e-mail is completely replaced with something else.. The one I use for my AppleID (with Hotmail) has remained unchanged for the past 15 years.

Yes, if you set up a new account anything used with an old account cannot be transferred.

Jul 17, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Limnos

Somehow doesn't work

I should then receive mail at the current (new) email address - not the one shown on my iPad when I try to log in

Sadly I have never seen any mail in my current (new) address

So I doubt that the correct current address is being used.

And the old address is no longer addressable - wqs Comcast and now closed out

The prompt with the old email address comes up so quickly, it musty be stored in the iPad.

I have checked all the places and none show the old out of date email

So I don't know where the old address displayed is comimg from

As you poiint out switching ermail addresses means

i will lose the apps that I purchased if I do switch email accounts.. Not so good

At one time I was a developer, had some log in problems too, which evenyually got corrected.

I have a supicion that may have screwed up the database.

Jul 17, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Don Hutchinson1

As you poiint out switching ermail addresses means

i will lose the apps that I purchased if I do switch email accounts

No it doesn't mean this.

Updating your AppleID will allow you to keep all your iTunes purchases. You are simply updating your AppleID/iTunes account name (and any other info in the account)

To update your AppleID, go here -> https://appleid.apple.com.

Select Manage account then change the AppleID name.

If you sign up for a newAppleID, you cannot transfer purchases to this new account.

How to update Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.