Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled coffee on Macbook Air keyboard - everything seems ok?

So this morning, like an idiot, I spilled a few ounces of coffee (little cream, little sugar) on the keyboard area of my Macbook Air (purchased December 2011). With speed I didn't know I was capable of, I immediately flipped it upside down and let what was spilled drip off/out. I then blotted everything thoroughly with a paper towel while still upside down; set it down and played around with it for a minute (everything seemed fined); backed it up to Time Machine; and shut the computer down.

So my question is this - everything seemed fine and fully functional before I shut the power off, so should I be worried? I've read that, when the majority of people spill stuff on their computers, the computer shuts off by itself almost immediately and is dead or whatever. Mine seemed A-ok.

Anyone have thoughts/input on my situation?

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 6:58 AM

Hello:

I would keep it off (>and leave it off) until whatever spilled dries thoroughly. It sounds like your rapid action might have saved it! 😀

In the future, keep the beverages a full arms length away from your computer. 😉

Incidentally, I follow my own advice. My coffee is almost an arm's length away from my computer and on an extension which makes it virtually impossible for an accidental spill to run into my KB.

Barry

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Mean Reltner

Hello:

I would keep it off (>and leave it off) until whatever spilled dries thoroughly. It sounds like your rapid action might have saved it! 😀

In the future, keep the beverages a full arms length away from your computer. 😉

Incidentally, I follow my own advice. My coffee is almost an arm's length away from my computer and on an extension which makes it virtually impossible for an accidental spill to run into my KB.

Barry

Dec 4, 2012 6:14 PM in response to Mean Reltner

Same thing happened to me today...in class! I handled the spill pretty much like you did. I also went to the Genius bar and had them check it. They said that everything was working fine, but we dont know if it can detriorate. Right now, I got a couple of keys that feel sticky. They dont bounce back as fast but everything works fine.

Now that your experience is a few months removed, what's the update? Can I expect some longterm use?

Spilled coffee on Macbook Air keyboard - everything seems ok?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.