10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 7:49 AM by steve359
Mean Reltner Level 1 Level 1

So this morning, like an idiot, I spilled a few ounces of coffee (little cream, little sugar) on the keyboard area of my Macbook Air (purchased December 2011).  With speed I didn't know I was capable of, I immediately flipped it upside down and let what was spilled drip off/out.  I then blotted everything thoroughly with a paper towel while still upside down; set it down and played around with it for a minute (everything seemed fined); backed it up to Time Machine; and shut the computer down.

So my question is this - everything seemed fine and fully functional before I shut the power off, so should I be worried?  I've read that, when the majority of people spill stuff on their computers, the computer shuts off by itself almost immediately and is dead or whatever.  Mine seemed A-ok. 

Anyone have thoughts/input on my situation?    

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
Reply by Barry Hemphill on Jul 17, 2012 6:58 AM Helpful

Hello:

I would keep it off (>and leave it off) until whatever spilled dries thoroughly.  It sounds like your rapid action might have saved it! 

In the future, keep the beverages a full arms length away from your computer.

Incidentally, I follow my own advice.  My coffee is almost an arm's length away from my computer and on an extension which makes it virtually impossible for an accidental spill to run into my KB.

Barry

Reply by captfred on Jul 17, 2012 7:11 AM Helpful

I think you're ok because of your quick action.  Most of the occurrences I've read the liquid shorted out components immediately.   Let yours dry thoroughly before turning on again.

All replies

• Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.peripherals
    Peripherals

Hello:

I would keep it off (>and leave it off) until whatever spilled dries thoroughly.  It sounds like your rapid action might have saved it! 

In the future, keep the beverages a full arms length away from your computer.

Incidentally, I follow my own advice.  My coffee is almost an arm's length away from my computer and on an extension which makes it virtually impossible for an accidental spill to run into my KB.

Barry

• Mean Reltner Level 1 Level 1

I sure hope I saved it.  I don't really feel like shelling out another $1,700 to replace it if the worst has, in fact, happened. 

I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had a spill yet experienced a miraculous recovery? 

• captfred Level 7 Level 7

I think you're ok because of your quick action.  Most of the occurrences I've read the liquid shorted out components immediately.   Let yours dry thoroughly before turning on again.

Well, by some minor/major miracle, my beloved Macbook Air appears to be ok.  A couple of keys at ground zero of the spill kinda felt crusty on the first few keystroaks, but other than that, I appear to have dodged a bullet.  Wow...

• captfred Level 7 Level 7

Good to hear.    It's kind of like avoiding that big wreck.

This just makes you an 'experienced' user now. 

It looks like the backlit keys at the epicenter of the spill are a little dimmer than the rest, but otherwise fully functional.  If that's all the damage I sustained, I'll be able to live with it!

• D_Ghat Level 1 Level 1

Same thing happened to me today...in class! I handled the spill pretty much like you did. I also went to the Genius bar and had them check it. They said that everything was working fine, but we dont know if it can detriorate. Right now, I got a couple of keys that feel sticky. They dont bounce back as fast but everything works fine.

Now that your experience is a few months removed, what's the update? Can I expect some longterm use?

I'm typing this response on the same MacBook Air now and it's A-ok. 

• D_Ghat Level 1 Level 1

That's reasuring! Thanks

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6

To be the "grumpy" contributor ... I would be making backups everyday from now on.  You may be just fine, bu it helps to know your backups are only 1 day old in case something did get through to the insides.