Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Service Dpt. got troubles repairing my mac and give me alternative options.. What option should I choose? Help!

I got a MacBookPro few months ago (October 2011)

17-inch, Early 2011

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

But for multiple issues I had to take it back. After several repairs, they offered me the three options below as the 17-inch MBP is discontinued(?).. Which one should I choose?

The main reason I want a 17-inch screen is that I am working with graphics and also I move often, so I can't afford carrying an iMac around.

1. Replace the unit with this 15-inch Macbook Pro - this would take approximately 2 weeks to arrive

15-inch MacBook Pro

• Part number: Z0MV

• 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

• 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

• 128GB Solid State Drive

• SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

• MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

• Backlit Keyboard (US) & User’s Guide (English)

• Accessory Kit

2. Replace the unit with a 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina - this could take approximately 4-6 weeks

15-inch: 2.3GHz Retina display

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 256GB flash storage1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
  • Built-in battery (7 hours)2

3. We repair your unit in store as soon as possible.

Can you help me out please?

1) I am afraid that if I choose the third option, I won't be able to fix my MBP in the future in case that there are no spare parts (for example, if I get problems with the screen).

2) I don't understand how equal are the three models based on their prices...

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:54 AM

20 replies

Jul 17, 2012 8:45 AM in response to sig

@Sig, thank you for your reply. However I have bad experiences with similar situations and I wouldn't dare choose the #3 option without being very sure. What makes you sure that I shouldn't worry? It is important to me to know..

Another reason that makes me worry, is that I may go live in a country which doesn't have an Apple Store. (but they do have Apple representative suppliers).

Jul 17, 2012 9:21 AM in response to jdran

"Another reason that makes me worry, is that I may go live in a country which doesn't have an Apple Store. (but they do have Apple representative suppliers)."

Then what's the worry? Consider how long you intend to own this MBP. Figure 3 years. Buy AppleCare to make sure you're covered.You're obsessing about an issue that may or may not happen. This is just my opinion. The other opinions are, from what I read, based upon what each poster wants, not what you need. You've got to assess your own requirements.

Jul 17, 2012 11:12 AM in response to joshuacuk

It is not so easy to decide. The current 17-inch MBP costed me about 1880 pounds with student discount (about 15%). The retina display MBP 15-inch costs 1800 pounds without student discount. I don't get the message. Do they offer me a cheaper product? I know it is a better machine, but the price isn't the same.

I could say that I would compromise with a 15-inch screen, but the price difference is more than 300 pounds. Did I get someting wrong?

Jul 17, 2012 11:21 AM in response to voidpresence

Good that you declare you are biased 😉

Well the matter is not if it is the best value for the exchage, but if this exchange covers the purchase and if it is a reasonable exchange. Well, is the fact that it may be a faster and more powerfull machine enough or should I demand giving me something which costs the same as my initial machine?

Service Dpt. got troubles repairing my mac and give me alternative options.. What option should I choose? Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.