Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update Not Working

Hello! I have an original 300MHz Blueberry iBook G3 Clamshell and I recently finished the long and hard task of replacing the original 3.2GB hard drive with an 80GB hard drive. After this, I installed my copy of Mac OS X 10.3.5 and opened Software Update. Instead of listing the many updates expected after a new OS installation, though, a window popped up that said: "A networking error has occurred: timed out (-1001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again." So, I did, and the AirPort card I had installed worked perfectly, with Safari loading Google.com perfectly. I then updated the OS to 10.3.9 using the update CD that came with the OS installation CDs, thinking that would help. After this, I tried Software Update again, and the same error occurred, and still persists.

If anybody could help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

trainut

iBook G3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 300MHz G3, 288 MB RAM, 80GB HDD

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 11:19 AM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2012 11:26 AM in response to trainut

Hello,

First of all, are you signed on as the administrator? Check in the user account settings to be sure your current login is set to administrator account. If not then log in as administrator and try again.

Check to see if your system clock/date is set correctly. It's easy to forget if the battery don't hold charge on a Clamshell iBook, that the date requires resetting.

Try the updates whiles plugging your iBook into the Ethernet. Most wireless routers have a connection port behind them allowing you to connect via Ethernet.

Best of luck

Jul 18, 2012 12:53 AM in response to trainut

No it wouldn't be that, as I've recently restored my PowerBook to 10.3 and applied the updates to 10.3.9

However there is a new release of OS X coming out, so they maybe updating their 'Update' server to work with the new OS X and taken it down in the mean time. I would have expected some conformation.

There is away of manually downloading the updates for their web site, here is a link:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Just type in Mac OS X 10.3 in the search box and it will show you all updates relevant to your version.

Best of luck

Jul 18, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

There isn't a PRAM batteries in these Clamshells Ronda, you are quite right, they do work in the same way as the duel USB iBooks. Which I believe is capacitor and backed by the unit's main battery. The only thing I found with these Clamshells in the capacitors are not very good at holding the date/time, no sooner you remove the battery and replace, it's more than likely to require resetting again. 🙂

Jul 18, 2012 2:56 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Ah, so my iClam does not have a PRAM battery, I thought all Macs did. OK, well then the capacitor is shot, as the battery on my clamshell is good as new, it will run for about 3 hours. Anyway, my iMac G3 (recently upgraded RAM to 512 MB & OS to Tiger from OS 9) proves that Software Update in general works. So if my PowerMac and my iMac can run Software Update, then it's not a problem on the Apple server. I would manually download updates, but I have no idea which version of what to install and what needs updating and what doesn't.

Jul 18, 2012 3:04 PM in response to trainut

Well, we know the combined update is not required as you have 10.3.9 installed via your install disk.

what's mainly required is Java updates. From what I recall, there are about four for 10.3.9, however it will be satisfied by the latest update released in 2005.

Link http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_Update_for_Mac_OS_X_10_3_9

At least applying this, you know you have the latest Java for this version of Mac OS X

Best of luck

Software Update Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.