Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air overheating when running screensaver

I'm using a 13" MacBook Air (1.8 GHz / i5 / 4 GB RAM) to run a 27" Thunderbolt display. While I'm operating it, everything is fine. The temperature seems normal and the fans operate almost silently.

However, when my screensaver activates, my machine gradually begins to run hotter and hotter (peaking at about 90 degrees celsius) and the fans crank up. After I kill the screensaver and resume working, the temperature gradually ramps down and the fans follow suit until it's back to normal.

So weird. Is anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 12:58 PM

2 replies

Jul 24, 2012 3:35 AM in response to UnholyPassion

Yes, I am having the exact same issue here with my MBA + Thunderbolt Display.

I have got a 13" MacBook Air (July 2011 Model) with 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Also running 10.7.4.

I use the "Flurry" screensaver and after 3-4 minutes, the MacBook gets quite hot and the fans speed up.

After about 1-2 minutes of exiting the screensaver, the fans quieten down and the MacBook returns to a normal temperature.

MacBook Air overheating when running screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.