Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any help to remedy 3 problems I am having would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas? My trash won't empty, start up disk full, spotlight not working

I have a MacBook Pro version 10.7.4. I am having 3 problems. My My trash won't empty, my start up disk full (or so says the message I keep getting), ans spotlight not working. I have deleted thousands of files but this did not help. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 4:01 PM

What happens when you try to empty the Trash?

4 replies

Jul 18, 2012 7:27 AM in response to Linc Davis

A message pops up that asks, "Are you sure you want to delete files"? Then it shows the number of files to be deleted and asks me if i want to empty all files or just the unlosked files. I have tried both. Either way, it starts to delete them, and it pops away nothing happens. And each time there are more files to delete. I am not someone who knows a lot about computers, obviously, but I think I probably have a virus. What would my next step be? Thanks for any ideas.

Jul 18, 2012 7:57 AM in response to LoriSylv1

You don't have a virus. That's the Windows way of thinking. When you have a problem with a Mac, a "virus" should be the last thing you suspect, not the first.

To stop the "Are you sure..." warning, from the Finder menu bar, select Finder > Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the box labeled Show warning before emptying the Trash. You'll then get no warning before the Trash is emptied, and once it's emptied, there's no undo.

To delete locked files, hold down the option key and select Finder > Empty Trash from the menu bar.

Jul 26, 2012 5:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

I decided to just take my problem to the genius bar at the local apple store. I was told again that macs don't get viruses. What I had was a software problem. After I backed up my computer, they kindly removed everything and reloaded it, but without the problem software. Although it took about 5'hours, everything is back to working great. Thanks foe your help.

Any help to remedy 3 problems I am having would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas? My trash won't empty, start up disk full, spotlight not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.