Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving aperture and iphoto libraries

My aperture and iphoto libraries have consumed my little MacBook. What is the best method for moving all libraries to a different harddrive?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 2:28 PM

6 replies

Jul 18, 2012 12:24 AM in response to The Poobah

press option key while launching aperture and create a new aperture library. store this on external drive.

then import internal hd aperture library into this external library. same goes with the iphoto.

your iphoto editing will still being saved, including all your iphoto books saved.

this i think is the safest.

Jul 18, 2012 12:59 AM in response to The Poobah

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto and/or Aperture

2. Copy the iPhoto Library / Aperture Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library. Repeat form Aperture.

4. Test the libraries and when you're sure all is well, trash the ones on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Jul 18, 2012 1:13 AM in response to The Poobah

Both William Lloyd's and Shuttleworth's recommendations will work. Which of these will work best for you, will depend on how you are using your MacBook and on the speed of your external drive. The Aperture library needs to be on a fast drive, otherwise you will have performance problems. Usually the fastest drive will be your internal disk, so if your external drive is slow and not connected by fire wire or thunderbolt, I'd use referenced originals/masters, like shuttleworth suggested. This will enable you to browse and rate your images, even if the disk with with the originals should be offline. But if you have a fast firewire disk, you can put the whole library there as recommended by William Lloyd - that is much easier and safer.

Remember to check the formatting of your external drive. A new drive usually will be formatted MS-DOS FAT by default, and Aperture may not work with this. Use disk utility to reformat the drive, if it is not formatted MacOS X extended journaled, before you move your library there. And do not use a network volume for your Aperture library; that will result in very poor performance and you may corrupt your library this way,see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3252

Good Luck

Léonie

moving aperture and iphoto libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.